Sleeping Habit

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by RestOwner, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They said that each and everyone of us should have an 8 hours of sleep to regain our strength. In my case, my maximum hours of sleep is only 4, does this have a negative effect on me? whereas when I wake up I do not feel lousy at all.

Do you even have time to sleep? How many hours do you sleep?

2. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm afraid it does have a negative impact RestOwner, and I'm in the same boat! I've heard that it takes quite a few years off your life expectancy when you don't get enough sleep -- and at the correct time of night.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I normally get about six hours sleep a night and then take a half hour nap during the day. I had been sleeping in much later over the Christmas holiday period and am now getting back to my normal sleep pattern by getting up earlier every morning.

We previously discussed Polyphasic Sleep here on Business Advice Forum and you might find that thread interesting. Once I get back to my normal sleeping pattern I plan on experimenting with Polyphasic sleep by further reducing my main sleeping hours (reducing it from 6 hours to closer to 4 hours) and taking a second nap during the day.

RestOwner if you are concerned about your sleeping patterns and their impact on your health you should speak to a qualified medical professional. Any replies you receive here are merely opinions and they are not a substitute for professional medical advice. My own opinion is that if you feel energetic and healthy with the sleep you are getting, there is probably nothing to worry about, but as I said still speak to a qualified medical professional.

4. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not think so that this can hurt you if you are single and young it is the perfect age to do struggle so you and your family can sleep tight in the future

5. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can take power naps of 15 to 20mins at around noon time and 3pm or 4pm. They can make up for your lost 4 hours. I remember reading this from a medical journal. However, it is still advised for you to take 8 hours of rest each day

6. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know that enough sleep is necessary but very often I sleep less than 7 hours. I want to think it over and organize my working day more carefully.

7. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

6 hours is fair enough but with 4 hours? I don't think so, even you don't feel lousy or drowsy this will give you result in the long run. You will never reap an harvest by now but when time comes all things will fall into negative impact, so before that comes out try to have a healthy lifestyle including your proper sleeping habit. ;)

8. webmasterpath

webmasterpath
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe that sleeping 8 hours is the best way to rest without affecting your daily life. Sleeping less than that sounds like if you were to expect a greater succes if you work more hours a day.

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The main purpose of sleeping is to rejuvenate your body and shed all tiredness, so that you can get ready to face challenges next dawn. It doesn't matter that you sleep 4 hours, 6 hours or 8 hours. What matters is that you should not feel lousy. In India, all most all saints take 4 hours sleep, yet they live long.. And Yes, PowerNaps are great way of drawing energy if you feel lousy during day time. PowerNaps are like small value recharge for your body which infuse new energy in you for time being in which you can complete your task.

@ME- I always change my sleeping pattern as time demands, some time 4 hours, some time 6 hours and at other times 8 hours too. Its all about exercising options that only you can create in your life..:D

Have a good day..;)

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Our heart rate slows down when we sleep. In the little research I have done into polyphasic sleeping I could not find a conclusive answer as to whether reducing the number of hours during which our heart rated is slowed as we sleep, had a long term negative impact on health. However, it is something to be conscious of.

11. redsan

redsan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi...
    it's a business advice forum. if you will join this site i hope you will get more information according to your hopes.

thanks
    ------------

12. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I do take naps on the afternoon.. Maybe that can help.. I am really not into seeking help on medical professional because it scares me that they might find something wrong with me..

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

14. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its better to know than not to know - House , lol

15. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have something to add that you guys might find interesting.

I have borderline high blood pressure so I monitor it daily with an automatic electronic BP tester. Every morning I strap on the cuff over my bicep, press the button and wait for my results.

On mornings that I am short on sleep, my BP readings are always higher. In fact they can be 20 or more points higher which is a huge deal. My BP after a good nights rest is usually about 140/90. After a night of short sleep it is usually near 160/100 or sometimes as high as 170/110. Blood pressure that high increases the liklihood of a heart attack or stroke bigtime.

I notice the same thing happens if I drink a substantial amount the night before. If I drink 3 beers or more, my BP will be high in the morning. The same holds true for 3 glasses of wine (white or red) or three shots of whiskey. I was surprised that that little amount of alcohol has that much effect. I don't even feel three shots of whiskey. Three beers doesn't phase me in the least either in terms of buzz unless I drink them back to back on an empty stomach. Think about that the next time you wake up with a bad ass hangover after a night of partying. Blood pressure = way to high. Get enough sleep. Your body needs it. Shutoff that worthless television and get to be early.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your story of using a blood pressure monitor reminds me of an athlete who told me that when he is training he measures his heart rate first thing every morning. If it's too high he knows that he's been training too hard, to the extent that he has been over-training, which does more harm than good. Once this happens he takes it easy on that day's training and checks his heart rate again the next morning.

Maybe we should all record our heart rate or blood pressure first thing in the morning to keep a check on ourselves and ensure that we are not overdoing it.

17. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what's the normal heart rate?

18. Rene

Rene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I sleep about 8 hours a day.
    But take a note that: "You dont need more hours, you need better hours" :)

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's normally between 60 and 80 in adults, higher in children. You can read more on WikiPedia.

Have you any tips on how to get "better hours"?

20. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also curious about this.. what is this better hours you're talking..