Six Tips to develop your Communication Style

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by CommunicateWell, Jan 25, 2010.

1. CommunicateWell

CommunicateWell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First you should be aware of your own communication style. Each person communicates in a unique way and uses certain sorts of words, body language and tone of voice. It's easier to improve your communication style if you become aware of your unique style of communicating. Then here are six tips to develop this style.

1. Compare your style to someone who is famous for being a good communicator. Being aware of the differences between your own style and that of the good communicator is an important first step to improve your communication skills.

2. Study the style of those who are good communicators. How they converse. How they say things. Look for ways of communicating that you can model and make your own.

3. Change your own way of conversing. It's not too late to do that if you have the strong desire. You should learn to communicate in certain way first then replace your behavior or change it.
    E.g. instead of lecturing others all the time, learn to change this style to listen first before jumping into advising and preaching.

4. Match your style with the others'. Don't do everything they do, but mirror one or two things and choose the best reaction. E.g. if someone gives mostly short answers, follow his style. But if he uses loud tone of voice, choose the suitable tone to communicate best with him.

Or, maybe you talk at a faster pace than those you communicate with do. Adjust your tone to match theirs to make them feel relaxed and comfortable in your presence.

5. Differentiate your way of communicating. You should communicate at home or with your relatives differently from communicating with others or in a different environment. Change your style to suit different setting. Some information or comments might not be suitable to offer in a group setting while some other might be required to be told in private.

6. Respect different ways of communicating. If we all communicate in the same way, we would feel bored with each other.

Improving communication style requires awareness, adjustment and the strong desire that helps anyone get what he may wish.

2. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The most effective for me is Match your style with the others (if it's positive). But if they tend to be negative, I'd rather keep silent.

3. vivaclean

vivaclean
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice tips! Made mi think about my style of communicating.

4. glennmartin

glennmartin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also have same question but rest post are nice.
    Discovering which style best fits you can be done in a number of ways including personality tests

5. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find it interesting that in the thread for "Communication Style" the individual above me doesn't appear to understand how to use possessives.
    Your response is not helpful.

6. mishraraj2603

mishraraj2603
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great and intresting suggestion to develop good commumnicaton style, nice thanks for sharing :)

7. MatthewOlszewski

MatthewOlszewski
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think, the most important in communicating with other people is confidence. It affects the attitude that we have, and on the strength of our ideas. The best way to gain confidence is being with people and trying to express our ideas and defend them.

8. tk-hassan

tk-hassan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Communication is really the key to be successful in almost any market and these tips would certainly help people to improve their communication skills. Thank your for sharing it :)

9. abby

abby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice Tips! Thanks let me try to implement

10. StuartSpindlow3

StuartSpindlow3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Awesome tips you have shared about develop communication style, I ma impressed and I would also try these all tips.

11. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Being a good listener has helped me. I take care of body language if it is in person communication. For email and other types of communication writing things down, closed loop are a few that I follow.

12. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good tips. I would like to think of myself as a good communicator. This list has actually made me think about it again.

13. Komal

Komal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice tips! Thanks for sharing:)