Six Practical Tips to get good at conversation

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by CommunicateWell, Feb 10, 2010.

1. CommunicateWell

CommunicateWell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Only humans have the privilege to communicate with one another in deep and meaningful ways. While hoping to experience depth in relationships, humans should search for powerful and significant things to have good conversation with other people so that they can improve their connections.

Everyone wants to increase their ability to have good conversation with the people around them. One of the best ways to get good at conversation with other people is simply to practice.

Take the following small things into account:

1. Start by greeting those people whose eyes meet yours everywhere.

2. Ask the persons who you deal with along the day about how they are doing and ask them if they are enjoying their day.

3. Learn to respond with more than one word when someone asks you a question.

4. Care about people and the things they are saying. There is nothing worse than trying
    to carry on conversation with someone that is disinterested in it.

5. Ask people questions that you are interested to know the answers to.

6. When you have a conversation with others, show them that you want to learn and share wisdom with them.

Try to do these small things and you will be surprised at how you can have good conversation with other people. If you experience any more successful things to get good at conversation, please comment and share them with us.

2. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can relate with number 3 though. That was when I was a shy-type. But not anymore.

3. Chinahailin

Chinahailin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5. Ask people questions that you are interested to know the answers to.

A little difficult to find their interested things, so I don`t know how to communicate well.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great tips there CommunicateWell, very practical. I will make an effort to practice them myself, especially 1 & 3. I believe that following those tips would help almost anyone to become a better and more confident communicator.

Have you put these tips into practice yourself?

Why do you say that, surely you can find at least one interesting thing about everyone you meet?

5. chinaoilpainting

chinaoilpainting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good conversation is an important skill in almost every situation.
    How will you handle unpleasant conversations?
    Think of ways to face these situations that someone will disagrees with you or criticize you before they happen.To be flexible and be ready to handle difficulties that crop up.
    The art of having good conversation does not mean everything goes smoothly at all times, right?

#5 chinaoilpainting, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everyone can learn to communicate well and we can all start establishing rapport in th first 30 seconds of meeting a person.

Big call I know! BUT I say it because communication is only about 7% words, 38% tone and a whopping 45% body language (OK so don't quote my percents from my poor tired old brain!) but you get the picture.

By mirroring intensity, tone and words (ie visual, auditory or kinesthetic people vocal cues) you can create rapport quickly.

Learn a littl about basic body language cues, about personality types and about visual, auditory and kinesthetic people and work to communicate with people in their way and on their level whenever you meet them - you will rock it in the commuication stakes and make life really easy for yourself.

7. lentrepot

lentrepot
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a shy type of person when having a conversation with a huge crowd. I totally find this thread awesome. :D

8. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is always a way to overcome it.

I used to be hopeless one-on-one so if I was at a dinner in a restaurant where I was sitting with people I didn't know I was stuffed if they didn't start the conversation. I would have been happier to stand up and speak to the entire restaurant because public speaking has never scared me.

I overcame this by going to internet dating events as a security blanket for a friend. Because I wasn't looking to meet anyone I didn't have any vested interest in the outcome and I was able to practise walking up to people I didn't know and starting conversations. It worked really well for me to overcome my shyness and get comfortable striking up convos with strangers.

Once you challenge yourself a couple of times the fear is lessened or removed and then you can just keep training yourself to do it naturally. The best way I found is to be able to start in a situation where it doesn't matter to you - not in some really important, pressured situation so find a forum and give it a go.

You can do it.

9. bascilikapeter

bascilikapeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i also aqgree that one should be intresent in talking as one way communication will not take you anywhere and there's no problem of talking to the person who is not intrested in talking.