Sitemap and Google Webmaster Tools Questions

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Fergal, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've created a sitemap for Business Advice Forum and it can be found at (please note it's a download link) businessadviceforum.com/xmlsitemap.php

When I visit that sitemap page my PC attempts to download the xml file, is that how it should be? Or would the sitemap page be better if it contained a list of links?

The sitemap xml file looks like this;
    That code, links to two other pages, those two other pages are also dwonload links. Those two pages include all the links to the various pages on Business Advice Forum.

I've submitted businessadviceforum.com/xmlsitemap.php to Google webmaster tools. Should I also submit those other two pages?

Should I place a link to businessadviceforum.com/xmlsitemap.php on every page of the forum (I'm mindful that it is a download link)?

Thanks!

2. rankingchannel

rankingchannel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal! This is my very first post on this forum so excited to get connected with everyone. I don't believe I saw a HTML sitemap. That's where you would have a page say "businessadviceforum.com/sitemap" contain a list of all the links on your site. Your XML sitemap is to be a downloadable XML file and that's what Google wants, which is what you've already done. So if those two other pages are additional sitemaps, I would also submit those to webmaster tools not only for Google, but to Bing as well. (Note: The first link in the code I believe has a space between the g and the z at the end)

Rather than linking to that on every page of your site, I would advise that you create a HTML sitemap such as mine @ rankingchannel.com/sitemap and then have a link to that page on every page of your site perhaps in the footer area with Contact Us, Business Advice, Archive, Privacy Statement, etc.

Hope that helps!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum rankingchannel and thanks for your advice, it is very helpful.

Thanks for that will do that now and will also investigate that extra space.

Edit - When I click on xmlsitemap.php in Google webmaster tools it brings up links to those two files, so it looks like they have them already.

Being a forum there are tens of thousands of links on the site, perhaps even hundreds of thousands. Would it be enough for me to link to the main forum sections from the sitemap like the example below?

BAF Help, Suggestions & Announcements
    Business Advice & New Biz / Website Ideas
    Sales & Marketing + Online Promotion & SEO
    Web Dev - Website Design, Coding & Hosting
    etc, etc.

Thanks again!

#3 Fergal, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. rankingchannel

rankingchannel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal! Thank you so much for Liking my fan page on Facebook!

As you mentioned, since there are thousands and thousands of pages on this forum, I would actually create sub-sitemaps for each forum category. On the main sitemap page (www.businessadviceforum.com/sitemap), you can have keyword-rich anchor text like the ones you showed above that link to all of your sub-sitemap pages.

Hopefully that makes sense. :)

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks rankingchannel. It would take a lot of time to create HTML sitemaps like that, I don't mind doing it if it would help our search engine rankings, do you think it would?

You're very welcome, your http://www.rankingchannel.com/ site looks great!

6. rankingchannel

rankingchannel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the sitemap will help much better with indexing and relevancy, which could definitely help with your rankings, but it's definitely on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to your rankings. Building links is what ultimately will get you the rankings you are looking for.

Thanks for the comment about the site! I'm actually in the process of redesigning it and adding new features for the members.

7. Johnkurt

Johnkurt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is quite cool,

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks again rankingchannel, I'm also looking at some automated solutions that can be used with our forum software.