Site not ranking in searches

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by davidemarsh01, Jun 4, 2010.

1. davidemarsh01

davidemarsh01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Despite adhering to all SEO rules, my website has still not featured in searches on Google and MSN. I created backlinks, researched my keywords extensively, did meta descriptions and everything else. Nothing seems to have worked! I am embarrassed to say that the only way someone can find my website is by searching for the website name. At least I am third on Yahoo. Backlinking hasn’t helped me. I don’t know why my website is not ranking in searches! What more should I do? I need help with this. Please advice me or suggest something. Thanks a ton in advance!

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can I ask how long you have been working at this? Also, which keyword are you aiming for?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

davidemarsh01 would you mind sharing a link to your site? I can understand if you'd prefer to keep it confidential, but we can be more helpful to you if we know the domain name.

4. Adam_Ly1983

Adam_Ly1983
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are several things that you may have forgotten to do. I suggest you go over the details on how you created and promoted your website. I had that problem before with by wordpress blog, but when I went over all the SEO's that I've done, I realized that I forgot to install All-in-One SEO tools and Google Sitemap.

Don't lose hope just yet, there are still tons of SEO's that you may have not done yet. Have you tried 3-way backlinking? Are you sure you're using Sitemap and other helpful SEO tools?

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Before I start, I should caution you NOT to use 3-way linking, as Adam suggested. The reasons why are covered in this thread - http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=10552.

Now that you know what not to do, what can you do. Let's take them one at a time:

1)Backlinks - Where are you linking from? Linking from popular sites will be more valuable than linking from sites that are not as popular. What type of sites are you linking from? Linking from a variety of different types could help. You also do not want to link from sites that may have problems of their own that are keeping them from getting ranked. There are also tools you can use to determine how many links other sites like yours, who are getting ranked, have and where they are linking to.

2) Keywords - what keywords are you using? Here again, there are tools you can use to find out what keywords you should be using. Are you using the keywords in the content of your site, being careful not to use them too much(called "keyword stuffing")?

3) Meta tags and Meta Description - This is another place to use your keywords. Also, check your Title Tags to make sure the Title Tag relates to the content of the page - don't use a generic Title Tag on every page.

If you would like any more help, PM me with your URL, and I'll take a look.

6. nirose

nirose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think you might be competing for a very high competition keyword thats why you aren't ranking well with your work cuz when the competition is high your competitor's might have done alot of work and invested more on promoting their sites.

Try concentrating on a long tail keyword related to your niche then later you can compete for the high competitive niche.