Single Opt-In or Double Opt-in?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by amwarner, Sep 20, 2013.

1. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi BAF,

I recently was on another forum where I posed a question about having 28 people who have signed up to receive my newsletter and the gift(s) I promise with it but they haven't confirmed. Note that I don't have 28 people in total on my list, that number is of the people who've yet to confirm their email address.

Now, the advice I was given was to switch from a double opt-in format to a single opt-in format. I always thought that single opt-in wasn't good. I mean, I hear so many bad things about it and this and that.

What are your thoughts on the matter and what do you use? Single opt-in or double opt-in?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The obvious concern with single opt in is that someone might enter another person's email address without their permission. However, in reality that is probably quite unlikely to happen, unless you have a site with huge traffic or your site has some kind of extreme content that may attract pranksters. I'd suggest that if you do make it single opt in, that it would be important to ensure that it is really easy for your subscribers to un-subscribe and that they can clearly see how to do that in every email you send out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yea, I had concerns about people putting in someone elses address or just putting in the address and then unsubscribing as soon as they get the free report or something. But I guess, in business, you have to test everything and I have to do this test to see which one is really the better way to go. Maybe none of that stuff will happen. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1