Sidebars

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Terry Harvey, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you use sidebars in your designs often? I haven't used a sidebar in ages.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always love sidebars... This is the best place to put your blogroll and ads.

3. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to agree. I've seen them on a lot of websites, but I have only seen a sidebar on a forum a few times.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The last time i didn't have a sidebar was when i created a squeeze sales page. learned it from an ebook i've bought.
    why dyou like a site with no sidebar?

5. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well for a theme I am working on designing, I think I am going to create a side bar for it. I want it to kind of be like the Xenforo's sidebar where it has the persons avatar, posts, and maybe something else so its not like a ripped off Xenforo. Its going to be similar to phpbb's welcoming mod. In addition, I would be able to put a few ads below it and maybe some of the newer topics. The only thing I don't like about it, is it takes up more space so the forums can't be as wide.

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you talking about forums in particular? If so, I think they work well on forums and blogs also. It's an appropriate place to put links and ads' on a forum, and doesn't look like you are pushing visitors to view the ads' but at the same time they are clearly visible. I think BAF get's it just about right, for example.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True there. You can put ads, recent threads, and news threads on the sidebar so it will be easier to transfer from one thread to another.