Should you keep your goals quiet?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

[YOUTUBE]NHopJHSlVo4[/YOUTUBE]

What do you think? Does announcing it make you feel more motivated or does it in fact hold you back as Mr Sivers said? I always assumed talking about them helped but now I'm not so sure.

You can read his bio at the Ted talks site. I highly recommend this site for insightful and interesting lectures, both short and long.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting idea, but I'm not fully convinced. When I hear someone's goals, I always try to help them achieve those goals and offer suggestions as to how they can move forward. When I've told people about my goals I've often been pleasantly surprised at the unexpected ways that they could help. Even people close to us, will often prove themselves to be resourceful and helpful in ways we would never have expected.

Jack Canfield also recommends that people share their goals with others and I have a lot of respect for his opinion on the subject.

A lot will depend on the individual, some people might achieve more when they keep their goals secret and others will do best when they broadcast their goals. Although I feel that sharing goals works best for me, I'm still open on the subject and am not fully convinced.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think keeping your goals to yourself will be that helpful.
    It will be very much better if you share your goals to others so that these people can help you in achieving your goals.
    They can tell you if what you are doing can help or affect your goals.

4. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my experience it's good to tell your goals to generally positive and decent people (as opposed to cyncial, negative and jealous..there are more around than you think) and you may get positive feedback.

However, if people "announce" their goals in a boastful manner, it often doesn't work. You could argue it is life punishing arrogance.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I was giving up smoking I told everybody I knew and I mean everybody, online and off. I wasn't sure I could do it on my own and felt I needed that support...and also spies to watch me LOL. It was good to have them there to ask me how I was doing. I felt I'd let not just myself down but everyone else if I didn't achieve my goal.

Maybe I succeeded in part because it was like Sivers said, where you have already partially convinced yourself you've made progress simply by voicing it. Whatever the reason, I've not smoked now since April 2006. :D

And I have the greatest respect for Jack Canfield and what he's achieved too.

6. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I am bit agree with this Video.

What happens to me is when I share my goal with others:
    I start thinking what if my goal will not completed. What people (those who knows my goal) will think about me and I started feeling down, which moved me far from my actual goal. So most of time I prefer not sharing my Goal specially if it is related to finance or career. Rather I share with all once I achieve it.

7. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why should you keep your goals quiet? Keeping it quiet, there are good and bad.
    But for me, letting out your goals is a good thing. Because people like me does not have ability to handle my online finance.. maybe one day out of a blue someone approached you and said, he/she will help or sponsor you on the skills you have and groom you into a professional or something. You do not know what will happen the next day or minute so no harm letting it out to others.

8. SissyBard

SissyBard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you start telling your goals to people in my experience, you are already starting the process of moving towards a plan of achieving them. If you speak to carefully chosen people, they will help clarify these goals and help suggest steps to move them forward.

9. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My experience is that this approach works best...

1. Only share your goals with people who have similar aspirations, can play a role in your accomplishing your goals and are supportive, positive, goal-orientated people themselves.

2. Do not share them with anyone else.

a. Most people are negative to begin with. You don't need their verbal or non-verbal opinions about your goals or ability to make them happen.

b. Some people will try to undermine your goals. They don't want to see you move ahead of them.

The other best advice I've ever been given is to never share a problem with someone else unless that person can be a part of the solution.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting idea and I can see a lot of merit in it. How strictly do you apply it, for example do you talk about issues, with friends and family when they won't be directly involved in the solution?

11. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A close friend or trusted adviser, yes, if seeking an opinion that can lead to a solution. Others, including family, no. Everyone has their own problems to deal with. They don't need other people dumping on them. The mature approach is to seek a solution, not sympathy from someone who can't play a part in solving the problem.

12. nerobi15

nerobi15
    uix_expand uix_collapse

sometime sharing goals give success to achieve goals but sometimes it creates negative impacts.

13. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it depends on who you tell your goals to. I'm from Ireland and I know for sure if I told some people what my 12 month goals/business plan were in relation to my new website they will straight away put me down saying negative cynical remarks.

I even notice when i mention goals to certian family members that they will put me down.

Tell your goals only to people who’s opinion you respect. They might spot something which might not add much value in your plan and point you in the right direction.
    Don’t broadcast down the local pub to the village drunk!!

14. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On my part i always keep my goal in secret. because it might ruin if i will inform to someone and besides i love surprises. i love seeing other people being surprise with what i achieved. That's makes me more satisfied with my self as well.