Should you block Facebook at work?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by element, Jul 3, 2010.

1. element

element
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some companies do it because it's considered an entertainment site, security hazard, or something not work-related. Other companies consider Facebook an essential part of marketing-- to network with others. What do you think?

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a study I read some time ago (too long ago to find a link quickly) that showed that short bursts of social media at work actually increased the productivity of the employees.

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At my work, I usually get done on projects really fast and don't have work for a little bit. Without Facebook I would have gone nuts already lol.

4. pakiboyg

pakiboyg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will say yes to improve the work quality of the employees Facebook should have to be blocked & should be unblocked only at the break time or free time.

5. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blocking Facebook wouldn't really be a rock-solid solution or guarantee that your employees or staff's quality of work would improve.

People will always find ways or media to slack off (or kill time) regardless of whether a specific site is blocked from their access or not.

I think as employers or managers, you just need to constantly touch-base with your staff and get a status update on their work. It can also help if you have a set system to monitor their progress or receive reports on work output.

In some companies, they use a task time-tracking system which requires staff to accomplish and submit reports (down to 15 minutes) of their daily or weekly utilization on tasks. These reports would give you a clear picture already on who is efficiently utilized and who are under-utilized.

Being able to spot who are under-utilized can help you formulate ways to manage those staff's priorities for the day, or help you make decisions to cut down on redundancies due to under-utilization. At the end of the day, it's all about cost/expense management.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If a company has a strong and dedicated team, they shouldn't have to worry about them spending a little time, during working hours on FaceBook. However, if it is being abused the company would need to enforce some restrictions. However, if employees are abusing the system the company has a problem that goes beyond access to FaceBook. They may need to look at how they are motivating their staff or even if they have the right staff, for their needs.

7. rakhionline

rakhionline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I don't think it makes a great impact on work performance.The commitment of the employee towards work should be there. Others are just rash things.

8. JaredDetroit

JaredDetroit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer to let employees feel like we're not looking over their shoulder all the time. I've never been a big proponent of working hours just to work hours, which is kind of where this is going by blocking Facebook. It's all about getting the work done and if they can complete the work and want to check Facebook every once in awhile, it shouldn't be a big issue.

If they're not completing their work, that's when other sites become an issue.

9. kellybriefworld

kellybriefworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Block or Not

As an IT consultant I am fully aware that IT management is struggling with whether social media is productive or obstructive for companies and their employees. Software is being developed and policy and restrictions are being decided everyday by IT managers. The security of company networks are at stake but the potential for innovation using social media is a large enough carrot for the discussion of how to properly utilize the medium continues. Palo Alto networks came up with a whitepaper, bit.ly/d2NZRp, which will explore the issues surrounding social media in the workplace. It is important to not only understand the immediate benefits of doing business how one lives, but the threat it presents to a company's greater ROI and productivity when it comes to the server's safety and security.

10. Arlind

Arlind
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Facebook is addicting man.

Must be closed in every workplace, school etc etc. It makes you lose focus!

11. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I believe "if it's not Facebook, it'll be some other form of social media." And if it's not something internet-related, it's just going to be something else.

Blocking or restricting the object that employees use to kill time (so to speak) doesn't really solve the issue. You need to enjoin your staff on a shared vision or shared goals so that they can discern on their own whether their use of Facebook, etc is already excessive and affecting their work timelines.

You'd be surprised. There are some employees who are proactive and supportive enough that they restrain themselves willingly from using Facebook too much while at work ;)

12. LA Electrician

LA Electrician
    uix_expand uix_collapse

blocking facebook wouldn't really make a difference. yes - it's a great social site and awesome way to network. I think as long as you're on top of your work and not utilizing too much of your work time on it it should be fine.

13. wingmaiker

wingmaiker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Considering it as an entertainment site, a security hazard or something that isnt work related, some companies do block the site Facebook.

14. susanbekar

susanbekar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some time back a study showed that productivity of the employees certainly increased with short bursts of social media at work.

15. dan213

dan213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal. I do not feel that it needs to be restricted right off the bat, but if it becomes a problem then there would need to be some type of actions taken. A good employee should not drift away and not complete the work assigned because a social networking site takes priority. If that's the case then there may be a need for stronger actions then restricting a website.

16. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Funnily enough my early contribution was that a study had found employees with facebook access were more producitve. I have just read another which suggests that in facebook blocked workplaces employees use their own technology (often smart phones) to access Facebook in breaks. The difficulty in that is they think of any posts made then are personal updates with no relationship to the company which means they don't censor things they may have if they felt they were in some part representing the organisation or should be respectful of them using their techology.

17. scottpaul

scottpaul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would approve of the fact that Facebook should be blocked and should be unblocked only at lunch times to improve work quality.

18. element

element
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree.. :D

19. iamjohns

iamjohns
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well i think if you want to use facebook for marketing in the company then its a 100% benefit ... yet if you use the facebook marketing as an excuse then your company should band the idea or they could use facebook but give you specific instructions on the marketing plan they want to go with on facebook !!!!

20. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would allow my employees to have access to Facebook as long as they are using it for marketing research/promotion etc. Otherwise I wouldn't mind allowing them to login now and again for a quick look at their posts/messages.