Should we all go nofollow?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by apexis, May 15, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's a thought. Wikipedia made all their external links nofollow. Many high authority sites only give nofollow, so we can link to them and give them our link juice which helps them stay up in the rankings but we can't get anything back.
    If we all adopted the same policy and made all our external links nofollow the whole system would fail.
    Why is it ok for some sites to be nofollow and not others?

2. DanGild

DanGild
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Who said nofollow isn't as good as a backlink?

Nofollow are wonderful! why?
    1. you have to divers your link profiles.
    2. nofollow links from high authority pages are extremely good (e.g. links from Wikipedia)
    3. think how you can get traffic from your links.

3. MartinLedley

MartinLedley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The nofollow attribute was created to stop untrusted content, like user comments or guestbook entries, from being used by search engines for pagerank purposes, but it's also used to negate paid links. There's also no point for robots to follow links to pages that require registration or login to reach, or holds information you don't want people to see on a page.

It wouldn't make any sense for everyone to use it because the whole system would collapse, as you said, so the only real point of using it is for legitimate purposes.

4. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No follow=> improves keyword search capacity and brings web traffic but your side ranking won't increasing because Google doesn't follow it.

Do follow=> improves keyword search capacity, brings web traffic, and increases site ranking too because Google follow the rank of link site.

5. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wikipedia is already a big name in the internet. That's why Google shows most of the results from these kind of sites. In websites like Wikipedia, they should really make their outgoing links nofollow because articles and informations listed in their page can be edited by almost anyone who has an account.

6. Samaira Bose

Samaira Bose
    uix_expand uix_collapse

wikipedia has done this to stop advertisers from spoiling the wikipedia, for rest there are other measure like alkamist...

7. gogreenbusiness

gogreenbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On the contrary of other people's SEO principle, no follow link can be so useful. My mentor told me to use them and it did contribute to increase my site's popularity. :)

8. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although it seems that no-followed links don't have any PR values, values of trust and authority should be added to the website. So eventually no-followed links are valuable. It might be a good idea to balance the number of followed links and no followed links for a long term purpose.

9. lray

lray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you only had nofollow links, search engine spiders would never find you. sounds good in theory, and i get where your coming from. but we kind of need the spiders/bots crawling our sites if we want jobs

10. pentawebexperts

pentawebexperts
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am still confused that no follow links are helpful for my site or not. Most of the sites and blogs do not offer do follow links that are useful for the posters of comment posters but alternatively the same blogger also expects to be back linked by the do follow links to promote its blog. I do not understand how bloggers and the other web masters are practicing such techniques and expecting the opposite from others.

11. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its okay for them because its okay. You can go nofollow though, it won't be a problem. Some of my sites provide no follow for users and its fine.

12. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wikipedia has become authority site, people willing link back to them because the information is relevant. Secondly even wikipedia cut off all external link, I strongly believe that it still able to stay on top search. Because wikipedia have great keywords density, well inter-page linking and high visit rate.

The argument of do follow and no follow should be ending, because link is still a link. It is potential to generate referral traffic.

I don't think so, because search engine can still indexing a site through no follow link.

13. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It doesn't always mean that we have to go more on no-follow. Again, it's always the two side that should be balance. Do-follow share their own benefits as well as no-follow. And if we focus too much on only one, then it would hard out websites.

14. garrett123

garrett123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i did read something saying no-follow links do pass a smaller percentage of page rank.
    People have thought this for a long time, but i think they finally just admitted it.

Links from wikipedia still help as far as i know

15. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Matt Cutts has said that no-follow do not pass page rank. But page rank is only one factor of the 200 or so factors that determine search engine results.

I think people get far too hung up over no-follow and do-follow differences. A link from a highly trusted relevant authority site is a plus, even if it is no-follow. It can bring direct traffic, it can raise awareness of your site, it can help other people who are writing content with do-follow links find your site. It's a lot more than page rank.