should there be another way??

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by magreth, May 4, 2015.

1. magreth

magreth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In the past few weeks I started baking cinnamon rolls and I only got two customers. I tried reaching out friends and family to support my baking but didn't get any calls. I decided since I have no capital I should start with home baking. Where I come from ( Tanzania ) cinnamon rolls are not that popular, and the only people who get to enjoy eating them are my American boyfriend and his friends who really love them. I tried reaching out on social sites, like Facebook where I got 5000 followers, and Instagram but the response was a failure. I have enough capital but no people respond. I just dont know how much should i try:(

#1 magreth, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
  2. LogansWalk

LogansWalk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd bake a decent amount of them and go to a heavily traveled area like a shopping area or downtown, hand out your cinnamon rolls and your business card/contact information for orders.

3. RTSteam

RTSteam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How about a local fair? There must be something similar to it where you can showcase your cinnamon rolls. People love good food and if your cinnamon rolls are really good, then you would be surprised to see the number of inquiries increase.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I noticed a couple of very important points when I read your post. You started baking cinnamon rolls, but where you live, cinnamon rolls are not popular. Even so, your American boyfriend and his friends love them. You need to first, offer something people want, and second, go to them. Apparently, no one wants them except Americans living in Tanzania, or American tourists. Find out where these two classes of people are, and go to where they are to sell your cinnamon rolls to them.

5. ConvertiVid

ConvertiVid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, how about adding a twist of Tanzania into your Cinnamon Rolls. This just might do the trick... after all, you would be combining 2 different cultures into one food.

6. chad23

chad23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe you should revise your recipe and make some adjustments and improve it. Maybe for your area baking of something else would be better and more appropriate? Organize a free tasting of your rolls. It will help you to find out possible disadvantages of your baking and learn preferences and wishes of your potential customers. Don’t give up.

7. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Looking for your business persona is the first thing. Target all Americans through your near and dear ones. Have Your product sent out to events as part of the served food. Organize a cooking camp and have your product as the highlight of sponsorer and have them relish the best. Word of mouth marketing will help you the most.

8. Design1000

Design1000
    uix_expand uix_collapse

starting a business is always a lot of complications and offered the doctors,
    submit that's not all, you need to automate the business, sales, orders, this whole system! I also started to trade through the Internet, but in addition to attracting customers, it is necessary to monitor all stages of the payment for the goods before delivery

9. MahaKarthi

MahaKarthi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try to identify areas that Americans frequent in your city and you could probably set up a temporary stall there for say 10 days to see if you get good reponse. If not, you may have to think of selling other items that would interest your local populace.

10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In the food business you need to be located in a busy area. If you don't want to own a shop, but prefer to cook from home and distribute then you need to target food stores that have plenty of foot traffic. These stores are usually located in busy shopping malls, train and bus stations, office parks, main roads, busy intersections and sometimes near banks, post offices and court rooms. Another avenue you could try is by approaching school tuck shops and kiosks in and around flee markets.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unfortunately if what your making isn't popular were your based, while it's not impossible to make it work, its just going to be a lot harder.

Not only are you going to have to work on your business, you'll also have to work on converting peoples opinions and that could take a bit of time.

While it won't make you any money, giving away your produce could be a way of getting people interested at first, everybody loves something for nothing.

When you know you've got a market out there then that's when you can start to charge, and then you'll really see if there's a call for your business in the place you are.