Should online business dealings worry the airlines?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Kay, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Boeing's prediction of 1 million jobs needing filled in the next two decades made me wonder how much they relied upon business travel stats when they calculated that.

Given the increasing speed, reliability and sophistication of online business related tools -- conference calls, video, online collaboration tools etc etc -- could the needs for business travel diminish enough that airlines should be worried? Or do you think there will always be a need for that face-to-face contact with national and international customers at some point in the relationship when marketing yourself and your business?

Business class flights aren't cheap and cost savings alone associated with any trip out of town (including hotels etc) are a big reason to do as much as possible online.

20 years on in the web development world will bring huge technological advances you and I haven't even thought of yet and that are in the embryonic stage now. Why take a 17 hour flight when you project a hologram of yourself right into the sales meeting room? :D

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Definitely, improved technology and communication advancements has reduced the number of face to face meetings required for any given project. On the other hand, there may be some increased airline travel as companies outsource more of their work from local operations to developing countries.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good point on the outsourcing side of the business. Then again, I feel they could deal with much of the outsourcing side online too. I think the biggest need for face-to-face meetings would be when there were differences in culture that affected the way business dealings are carried out or physical demonstrations were required of technology they would have to use.