Should one sell its business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by manishsqrt, Jun 13, 2015.

1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a business for which i am getting some offers.But i am bit a confused whether one should sell his business.The reason behind this confusion is that one can sell products but business is ones source of income so one should not sell it just for profits, it is unethical.unethical. Until one is very needy he should avoid offers of selling business.Please suggest me your opinion.One thing more this is online business, so what i am thinking is whether an online business can be sold, because online value is based on traffic and search ranks so if one sells his/her website and domain name, it is possible that he can run the same service almost immediately with some other name, and all the google ranks and Facebook likes can also be managed because they are made on personal google webmasters account and fb accounts, so one can suggest google that i have changed the name of my business and google will shift rankings accordingly.But still i am confused whether one should sell a business, although its just like selling a domain name with you purchased for few dollar into hundreds of dollar, you may retain source code with you you can retain the search rank with you.Please suggest your opinion on it.

2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've sold several brick and mortar businesses but I've never sold an online business. You have every right to keep or sell your business whether it's an online or offline entity, it generally comes down to what you really want. However, I do advice to sell your business if you've got a great offer. These offers don't come around often and just because your business is successful today, doesn't mean it will still be doing great a few years down the line. You may try to sell it at a later stage and find that buyers are scarce, or they're only offering a low amount for your business.

Don't worry about the products, coding, technology and scripts behind your online business. This can be negotiated with the buyer and be put down in writing on the sale of business agreement. Use a broker or attorney to draw up the necessary documentation, the seller usually has the upper hand when selling a business.

3. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When it starts growing and the offers of the buyers is quite worth it for me yes, it's right to sell it because maybe in the near future that business will fall and you'll find yourself with nothing in your hands. As a consquence, if that business will still grow its worth than you would maybe regret the fact of selling it but hey... that's the business pros and cons.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As the owner of the business, only you yourself can make the decision to sell the business or not. There are a lot of factors to consider, it's not all about the offers you get.

If you sell, where will your income come from in the future? Do you enjoy running the business and if you sold it would you miss it? With the offer you get, will you have made a profit, and will it provide you with enough capital to start a new business?

Like I said there's a lot of factors to consider, it's going to be a massive decision and I wish you luck whatever you decide to do.