Should I Start A Local Social Media Marketing Business?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Pnoj, May 28, 2015.

1. Pnoj

Pnoj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To begin this post I'll say that I live in a town with decent amount upwards of 20 small family owned businesses. I am a younger guy who knows his way around social media and how to use it to my advantage. Many of these business owners have little to no idea how much they could benefit from simple social media marketing. With this all in mind, do you think it would be a good idea to start a part-time business doing some social media marketing for local businesses? I plan to go into marketing later in life and think this would be a great way to start. Any feedback is welcome.

2. 60degreeDigital

60degreeDigital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are not clear here, are you looking forward to have carrer in Digital Marketing or Traditional marketing. What you are stating here is SMM (social media marketing) which is a part of DM while TM incorporates many form of advertising & marketing i.e. print, broadcast, telephonic, mail etc.
    My opinion would be to first make up u'r mind in which field of marketing are you interested & then to pursue a carrer in that.

3. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, of course its a good idea SMM (social media marketing) is a part of Online marketing or Digital marketing.its a good start for you, invest some time in it then if you think its a good for you or its a interesting for you then you can look further. After that you can put yourself on the other things later. :) :)

4. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you feel that you are perfect at social media marketing. And you have that capability to make it to the mark to convince the clients, then I think that it's a great business to start with. And more over you are planning to get to the marketing field in future. Hence just in one work I would like to suggest you: "Go Ahead".

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Being in the marketing business myself, I am troubled by your statement that you are "a younger guy who knows his way around social media and how to use it to my advantage." My particular area of expertise has a lot of people in it who think they know what they're doing, and they wind up making a mess. Or, they get into the business to make money, and they don't care whether they actually help the client, because there are plenty more potential "victims" to take advantage of. I would want to know, therefore, where your knowledge came from, and whether you actually know how to help the client, or whether you will "bend" the rules to accomplish your goal, no matter what the consequences.
    If you truly want to help other businesses grow, and you do know how to accomplish your goal without "making a mess", it would be a great learning experience, and could help you later on. But if your only interest is in benefiting yourself, I wouldn't recommend it.

6. chad23

chad23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should get rid of any doubts and continue to expand your knowledge and skills in Social Media Marketing. Proper using and deployment capacity of the social media can certainly have a positive impact on business development,contribute to the the brand promotion and increase the demand for product or services.

7. navarromarillou

navarromarillou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Entering a Social Media Business is a big challenge, but if you are good in online marketing, nothing is impossible, and the big advantage of yours.

8. paradisegold

paradisegold
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hii

This is good way to start your career with Digital Marketing but you have to know about all of thing of Social media marketing such post planning, always share valuable content to gain followers, fans, and devotees, stay consistent on brand image, Create blogging is good tool for SMM and one of the important things is keep eyes on your competitors.

Thanks

9. Rockpapercopy

Rockpapercopy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, but don't limit yourself only to local businesses, take it global! You'll have a chance to attract more clients, as you would be surprised how many local businesses keep marketing at a local scale [trusting only face to face marketing methods]

10. Suman Verma

Suman Verma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course, You can. If you have proper knowledge about the same then you can do well in the business. You can initially start with the local businiesses but once you know this better you can also opt for the international projects and can excel in the same as well.

11. Baloo

Baloo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I completely agree with you Joseph.

Seems many people believe their daily private use of social media is enough to understand what actually works in terms of marketing, because they have seen ads of FB or Instagram.

Well, it is definitely not as easy, and just as you say, it might become quite a mess. As with regular offline marketing, there needs to be serious strategizing to know and understand what the company actually hopes to gain from the endeavour, and HOW to get there. It takes a lot of time and careful planning before launching a good social media campaign.

#11 Baloo, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
  12. jaydeep

jaydeep
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes ofcourse, you can start a Social media marketing agency, as now every business needs social media to reach to its clients and users. It has a huge scope in future and you can get good number of clients in this field. But the campaign you run for your clients should be effective and beneficial.

13. Website Design Ltd

Website Design Ltd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In our view, Social Media itself is part & parcel of a much larger remit. Maybe look to begin offering Social Media options, but if you have the know-how to assist businesses with things like SEO, Design & Development, eCommerce, PPC Advertising, then you're going to blanket a much larger audience and hopefully develop some valuable ongoing retainers.

14. faiza

faiza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you have that capability to make it to the convince the clients, then I think that it's a great business to start . And more you work you get the strong marketing.

15. John Blake

John Blake
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is undoubtably great field to work in, but keep in mind that using Facebook and Instagram for private purpose and just "being young" does not make you an expert in Social Media. Marketing is much more than that and before starting a business you should gain some more professional knowledge in Marketing and find out what your potential customers' needs may be.

16. Lorence Merk

Lorence Merk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It will be a challenging one that's for sure. I have no doubt that it is one of the growing businesses today but not everyone is of course get successful in a short span of time. Before getting into this business make sure you know well the ins and outs of this business and make sure you have a good portfolio to brag.