Should I set up an ecommerce shop website or sell on ebay?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Adam, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey there!

I have now come to the decision, that ebay are charging far too much for my business to keep aflot with costs etc, meaning I loose money on some items. :*(

So now I think to myself, hang on I could just make an ecommerce website really easy (cause i know how too) without paying fees and I can list as many items as I require and only pay paypal a small fee for using their service as a form of my buyers paying me.

Watcha think? Which option should I choose?

2. keshavn73

keshavn73
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you start a new site then it might take time to go up and then generate good cutomers and all and ebay it one of the first choices of users i use amazon but dont know if they alow users to sell products or not..

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd suggest that you set up a store but at the same time keep your eBay store open. The two sites could complement each other, with the eBay store helping to drive traffic to your own online store. The fact that you know how to do a lot of the work yourself means that the set up costs will not be too much and you will gain a lot of IT and business experience by going ahead with it.

There are some great open source scripts that could help you to create your store, such as http://www.magentocommerce.com and http://www.oscommerce.com.

You might also find the threads below helpful;

Online Store Recommendations?
    How much for a great E-Commerce?

Good luck with everything and please do post back with your thoughts or to let us know if you have any further business questions.

[Moving thread to Online Business forum!]

4. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I understand where your coming from as business wont happen overnight or automatically but I would have a few plans in place in order to gain sales.

Amazon do let you sell on their through their own what they called "marketplace" however I have checked it out before and find it rather confusing.