Should I redirect orphaned pages to my homepage?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by MasterPipe, Mar 17, 2015.

1. MasterPipe

MasterPipe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Should I redirect orphaned pages to my homepage?

2. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Always re-direct to Home page if you do not know what to do. Google crawls and indexs all those pages which were live and keeps it in the database. Later when these become orphaned page you can re-direct these to any relevant pages in the website or in-worst case to the home page.

3. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes of course to the home page if any relevant pages is not there within the website. Lets say for example a website selling out old cars has a web link for a car which is already cold. Now google has already indexed and updated that link in the database. And that particular link delivers a handsome amount of visitors. So in order to avoid loosing those traffic, get the page redirected to any relevant pages in the website. If you din't find any then the home page is definitely a good option to go with.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I am going to disagree with the others - sort of. Where you redirect to depends on why they were orphaned. If you redesigned the page, or if there is a related page on the site, visitors should be redirected to the new page. If there is no new or related page, visitors should be redirected to a page that lets them know, in a humorous or interesting way, that the page no longer exists. It should then include a link to the homepage, saying something like "For current information and navigation of the site click here". Of course, "click here" would be a link to the homepage.