Should I rebrand after a bad past?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by GoodBusiness, Jun 4, 2013.

1. GoodBusiness

GoodBusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Long story short...

When I was somewhat younger I did some freelance work. Basically due to motivational problems I kind of sucked at it. I did what I could but depression and stuff got in the way. Eventually I ended up screwing up. Several jobs went on undone though I didn't receive money for work I didn't do and I'd often do some and then run out of gas. As in did some parts of the work, then didn't do the rest. Basically I didn't do good. I'm not proud of it and that's an understatement. I was a crappy freelancer and screwed up at least 3 jobs right there.
    Then came the big job screw up. I was contracted to do some work for someone. I kind of had a bad habit of over-extending and being unrealistic and undercharging so after a while I faced some severe burnout. Was almost done with the job but crashed completely. It was a job that I screwed up and due to financial reasons couldn't pay it back immediately.

Fast forward a few years. I've gotten back on my feet. I'm not depressed. I'm not burned out. I'm actually fine. I started doing my work again but this time successfully. More successful than ever. Financially in a very very good spot with the potential of this becoming much much better. I went from the lowest tax bracket to the highest here and things could get pretty insane. I'm doing good.
    Good enough to pay back that debt, almost two years late, and apologize the best way I could because I realize how freakin' messed up that was that I inadvertently screwed that client (and more minorly screwed at least 3 more over a short time).

Buuut I'm concerned about my sucky past. My position at the moment is fairly public. They don't know my real name yet but it'll be out there. Then it'll just be more public.
    I freelanced under my real name. I social media under that same name. I'm just afraid my past which I've tried to make up for will come bite me in the butt. I'd hate to think about these screw ups becoming public, especially to my family. Another concern is even though they've seemed to have accepted my apology I could be in a legally vulnerable area (seems selfish but it's real) about past jobs I've screwed up.
    I'm finally in a good spot in my life and it would suck to have that ruined by the past. I understand if those clients hate me and want to screw me up but... yeah... it would just suck and undo it (I'm not sure it would undo it but it would suck to become public knowledge).

So I'm at an empass. I could go ahead anyways. Or I could attempt to skirt through it with my current "identity" which is basically an internet identity with a fake username :p. I'm not even sure how to play that out lol...

Blerg the right thing to do is probably just go go ahead anyways. But I'd hate for the past to come back at me. I've tried to make restitution, pay back debt, apologize and accept responsibility. But I'm being a bit paranoid possibly and am just imagining going public and having some old clients pop in and tell them about my crappy past, as true as it is. :/

I've just never had to deal with negative response. I did great on my stuff outside of those. But yeah, it's ridiculous that I couldn't pay back one guy for almost two years. I'd hate for family to find out my screwups. I'm not sure what else I can do to make things right with the clients (who have so far not really suggested they'll go after me and have appeared to be understanding with my personal issues of the time, again I might simply be paranoid). And I hate thinking about it...

Well this is kind of a business thing! Did any of you have a crappy past and come back? Did you have a public face (internet, whatever)? Did it bite you in the bum after you recovered from whatever personal problems?

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As they say it, Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. Everyone has a past and at some point or another everyone has screwed up. The point is how you deal with it. If you keep running away it will keep coming back to haunt you. The best way out is to deal with it. You can apologize to your pay client and if possible do something to make up for it. Unless you do something about it nothing is going to change.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our forum GoodBusiness, I'm happy to hear that your business is going so well for you.

As Rocky said, most people have made mistakes in the past and have done things that they regret. We learn and improve as we go through life and that is obviously a good thing. Richard Branson admitted to breaking the law and paying a heavy fine in his younger years, Duncan Bannatyne spent some time in prison before he became successful and Donald Trump went bankrupt at least once.

The mistakes you made in the past don't have to define your future. Move on from them and don't spend any of your time or energy worrying about them. If there are some clients from your past that you owe money to, it would be a good idea to contact them and offer to compensate them, now that you can afford to. But overall I wouldn't worry about it, everyone makes mistakes, you've learned from yours and become successful, it's all good :)

4. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can overcome your past easily if you have determined to achieve something in future.Whatever be the mistakes you have made in the past,forget them,it happens.Mistakes are the part of life,don't fear from your mistakes.No one is perfect.

5. a4creations

a4creations
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right lines, Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future

One time i also get a this type of bad experience in the business..But that time i cannot do any thing. so i leave him...

Just move forward and don't repeat your mistakes..

6. iggypop

iggypop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everyone has made mistakes before what is important is that you learn from them as you seem to have, now just improve on what your doing.

7. thealchemist

thealchemist
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Rather than looking at your past as something to be hidden and ashamed of, be grateful that it happened. Be grateful that you got a chance to mess up when you were young and have since learned from your mistakes, which has made you a tremendously better person because of the experience. Think of all the people who are screw ups well into their middle age and later years and who never seem to break the habit of failure. You represent, to everyone who has ever tried something and failed, that regardless of your past you can make you dreams a reality; you can become the person you see in your mind. Why run away from the very thing that made you the example of success that you are today. Embrace it and watch your power of influence sky rocket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. alicemenezes

alicemenezes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think anything is irreparable.You could begin with paying back the client you couldn't pay back and making things right with the old ones. They themselves would be your ambassadors.

9. platnumcn

platnumcn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont think so there is a saint in the business. If you are running a business, you are committing sins one way or the other, so there is no reason to regret a crappy past or anything. You have not done anything, which others in the industry do not do. Their sins might be different, but they would do it for sure.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you say that? Do you believe that there are ethical and honest business owners?

11. singhabhishek251

singhabhishek251
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All I can say that the mistake, which you made was almost two years back and I do not think they will even bother about you after this long gap and they must have moved on and you should as well. I do not think that they will come back to you and if they are haunting, then you can explain that you were new that time, but you are able to provide the best and I think that is enough.

If you do not contact them, it is fine, just try to make everything fine from here and if you want to pay them back for your satisfaction, then go ahead as your self-satisfaction is more important.