Should I plan?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Jay., Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lately I've been trying to plan my days. Essentially I'm just writing a list of the things I need to do and assigning a certain time I want to do them. Most of the time I can stick to the plan but obviously there are times where it doesn't work out.

Am I making things too complicated? Obviously a to-do list is a good way of remembering things, but is actually having set times for certain tasks a bit too far? Do you reckon that it's impossible to actually stick to a plan and you should just let things happen as they happen? I'm certainly starting to think that but would like some further opinions.

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It;s good to have a to do list and plan your day. It keeps you on track. Guess you are keeping strict deadlines which are hard for you to meet and therefore it's not goping according to plan. You should be more liberal and give good time to each activity and more importantly PRIORITIZE. If you do the most important thing first that way you would have less work to worry about.

This could go on and on and there could be one big article on time management.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jay: Yes I do plan. I write a to-do list because I am very forgetful. When, I go to market to buy stuff without a list, I end up buying only few things rather than which I needed most. When you have a list, you can easily buy things or do things that are necessary at the moment. But you must be focused and give it a little more time.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I write a to do list every evening, for the next day. Without a list my work would not be focused and I would be very unproductive. When working through a list it is very easy to fall into the trap of spending more time on a task, than what is justified. To help avoid this it is a good idea to set completion times, you can add them on a task by task basis. E.g. set the target completion time for your second task after you have completed your first task and set the completion time for your third task after you have completed your second task. That is something I need to start doing more of myself.

5. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm the world's worst planner. I find if I make plans and I cannot meet the targets I set things get stressful. I tend to live by John Lennon's philosophy:

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm, some interesting opinions. Thanks for all the replies. If anyone else has any thoughts on how I should plan my days please let me know. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else makes plans for themselves with strict deadlines.

Haha, I've heard that quote before, I guess there's a lot of truth in it actually.

7. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's a very good idea to make such a list, but I do it in a bit different way. I make a list of all possible small things that I should do (in my house, for work, friends, etc.) and I can forget about, and when I have time, I try to complete at least a few tasks from the list. It's my way to be more organized and have less things to remember about ;)

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd suggest that you start with writing a list every evening, of the tasks you want to complete the next day. Put the tasks in the order that you intend to complete them, probably with the most important tasks at the top of the list. Then each day as you are working, apply the discipline to work through the list and to focus on one task at a time.

9. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I won't plan anything. But I won't end up with negative results. If you have guts to over come any difficulty, then you no need to plan.

I mostly forget other things when I work, and I forget about work when I play other than work...

Mistakes are evidence that you an Human being. And No mistakes with Being a Human.. lol I'm a Human Being :)

10. TT Annoy Me

TT Annoy Me
    uix_expand uix_collapse

T'is a good idea as it helps you become motivated and assert yourself.

Don't make your life one big list, though. It's good to be spontaneous once in a while.

11. bethw

bethw
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Planning a day ahead increases productivity. It minimizes and best utilizes time. We wasted most of our day due to lack of vision and planning. To create a day plan, first consider tasks and activities that you would perform plus one that you strongly aspire to do. Try to make it simple to achieve it.

12. RaySaj2

RaySaj2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

planning a day is great and can be extremely productive.......actually it makes the day a lot more synchronised and things get done a lot faster....i would even go and suggest using a tool to maximise the manner in which tasks are collated..so for example in outlook you can actually go into various sections and set a diary, in doing so weekly re occurances can take place as well....so in essence a visual map of the whole month can be collated....