Should I invest into a Laptop?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chrisj0401, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some may know I'm already strapped in cash, and in kinda deep debt.

But tell me this which is best...

I think I need a laptop for college to help me be more efficient in taking notes or whatever in class. My handwriting skills aren't that great, and penmanship as well I have a hard time reading my own handwriting. I can go much faster in a computer/keyboard than hand writing, at least 4x faster. I can read it much more clear. And I can keep track of my work on my computer than keeping track of my hand written work in my room in folders or whatever. I know how to a computer very, very well.

Which is best, save the cash for other needs, or invest into a laptop for college work?

note I'm thinking about a mini laptop thats around the range of $300.

This is one of the mini laptops I'm considering.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...dexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Mini/mini110_series

#1 Chrisj0401, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I should say why not? If you are really good in a Computer then you should go for it. It's just a matter of $300 and it will help you very much and in almost many ways. But if you are really in need of money then you should spare it. (Then also I suggest to buy a Laptop).

3. jourgeoct09

jourgeoct09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah sure, I would suggest you that you should invest in laptop.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If I was you I wouldn't rush into it. You could wait until you actually start college and then decide. You might find that it is not practical to use a laptop in class or that the college recommend a laptop with particular features. Will you have to handwrite your exam papers? If you do you might want to take notes by hand as practice for your exams.

5. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm pretty sure the exams are handwritten being required. But the note taking skills in my part may take years of practice to perfect or even be enough to what I need when I do start college. I can fall behind if I dont have the right amount of skill in note taking for college. As for a mini pc/laptop I can type 4x faster, a million times more clear to read, and a million times easier to keep track of my notes/work. Would it still be best to use a mini laptop for this case?

6. angelS

angelS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course! Why not?
    Now a days Laptop or computer is a need. It helps us lot by internet then some work. Laptops benefit is it is reliable than desktop.

7. purplelemond

purplelemond
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you should. Every student have a laptop nowadays. It will help a lot in your study.

8. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A laptop is really comfortable to work on and easy to use - as you can carry is along anywhere. But to be honest it is more of a luxury and not a necessity so if you are strapped for cash, give it a skip for now.

9. madringo

madringo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd wait until you're settled in college before buying as some campuses will only support certain operating systems for the intranet. I'm lucky in the sense that my college will support XP, Vista, 7 & OSX on the intranet, but I know some people in different colleges who bought new Macbooks but can't use them on the intranet :(

10. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a good investment for school and business endeavors. Just look for something that will work for long-term. I'm using Acer so far so good though.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can suggest you to ask for more information on your college. There are times that some colleges don't want laptops being used on the classroom. I don't know in your country but here in the Philippines, only a few schools allow laptops to be used while in class.

And don't buy an expensive one. Go for a netbook which is much more cheaper than a laptop. And laptops these days are not that durable as laptops released earlier.

12. worldbiztalk

worldbiztalk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that would be a great idea agree with gekidan

13. MasterGreg

MasterGreg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In our school, it is allowed to use a laptop while there are classes to take down notes. But I'm still against it. Typing to keyboards makes you lazy on writing even your own name on a paper.

You wouldn't experience he joy of writing with a use of a ballpen. :D

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are correct on that point MasterGreg.
    i have been out of school after I graduated high school. And honestly, my memories are coming back when I was still taking down notes on my notebook while the teacher is lecturing. I really missed that part of my life.

15. madringo

madringo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is encouraged in my college to use a computer when possible - notes, assignments, and tests. I suppose its for the lecturers convenience - when correcting, checking for plagiarism, and giving out feedback. It's also useful to the student with it being a digital copy should the lecturer lose your assignment you can forward them on another copy, spelling and grammar is improved and it's easy to change and modify a piece once complete. I think Maths is the only class I use a pen and paper for :eek:

16. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on how much debt you are in really. If its thousands then no but just hundreds then I would probably say yes. How about go for the $15/month option?

17. eddane

eddane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Note taking is a very good skill to have. You will need it throughout your career!

Sack off the laptop!

Ed

18. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Laptop is a wise investment on your online writing or freelancing jobs. ;)

19. augest

augest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since a laptop can make you work more comfortable and quite easy to use, then why not!