Should I invest in custom shopping cart?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by kerri311, Jan 9, 2012.

1. kerri311

uix_expand uix_collapse

Jan 9, 2012
    My ecommerce site is currently 6 months old (I design & print personalized party invitations). I currently use PayPal Standard for all transactions. I would love to be able to offer discounts and sales using promo codes, to help increase traffic and sales, however, PayPal doesn't offer this (not even if you use PayPal Pro).

Therefore I'm debating on whether or not to invest in having a custom shopping cart built. The price is approx $1000. It's a bit expensive for my company seeing as how we're young and still haven't made a profit after startup costs but this route is nice because I would have control of look and feel plus I wouldn't have a monthly fee (as you would with 3rd party cookie-cutter shopping carts).

I just can't decide if it's worth it with such a tight budget. Although I also wonder if I can't afford not to because I think of the saying "you must spend money to make money". Hoping those of you with ecommerce sites could share if offering discounts and sales has helped.

Thank you