should i go for it??????

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JHL, Feb 11, 2010.

1. JHL

JHL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys...

Hello all, my name is Jon. Im new here, so I dont really know if this is the right place for this post?? However, im in a big dilemma with myself. I currently work for a grading company here in GA. I get paid decent, I guess. (11.00/hr) Im 21 years old...and I am ready to make some more cheddar!

So...heres the other side. I have a 2004 BOBCAT (skid-loader) that was given to me last June by my grandfather, as well as a trailer to haul it on. So...I put up a few ads (internet and small signs at intersections) and my dad said he would let me use his truck to haul the machine for some side jobs if I was able to get any. Well before I knew it I was getting calls left and right. Unfortunately, I could not take all these jobs because of my regular work. However, if I did 2 or 3 jobs in a weekend, I would make almost or more than my regular work. So theres all that........

I quit advertising for the bobcat work since the beginning of December '09. Now I have just started back about 2 weeks ago with small ads, and I am already getting a good number of calls.

So basically...should I quit my regular job and take this bobcat work head on?? I have plenty experience with operating the machine and grading/leveling etc. ...so thats nothing to worry about. I can sell my car to get a truck, although id hate to sell it because I love it soooo much. But if it leads me to more money...then ill do it!!

option one - get off this site and stay at my job now and keep my loved car???????
    or
    option two - sell my baby...get a truck...and take a new set of challenges????????????

any comments/thoughts/opinions/or whatever
    are welcome!

2. draz

draz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ask yourself which job is making you happier at the moment?

Which job do you see yourself doing in the future?

What are your long term goals? Is it just to buy a house or is to build up a decent career doing x?

When you have the answer to these questions, you should then be able to decide for yourself what is right, rather then leaving that question for others to answer. Not to be an ass here, but if you don't know what's right for you then that's something you need to work on so as to benefit yourself for the future and it's only you who knows unfortunately.

Hope this helps :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum JHL. It's difficult to make suggestions without having full knowledge of your situation. However, I'd suggest that you go for it on the basis that if you don't take this opportunity to start your own business and become self employed, you will probably regret it in the future.

Even if the worst comes to the worst and things don't work out for your business, it should be possible for you to go back to employment and work for someone else. Plus you would have the advantage of all you will have learned and experienced through working for yourself.

Your Grandfather has obviously been very helpful and generous to you. Does he have business experience and knowledge that will be available to guide you when you open the business? This could be most valuable to you.

What is the availability of work like in your area, has the response to your ads given you confidence that there is plenty of work available?

Good luck to you, with whatever you decide and please keep us updated on your thoughts.

4. lacleve

lacleve
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Jon, I would choose the option one, working is better :)

5. mggc

mggc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi JHL,

Welcome to the forum!

It depends on you really, ask yourself what is important to you now.

Making money from a business is a really good thing to have, but you also need to ask yourself if you still love to see yourself in that business 1 or 2 years from now or would you rather have your job and be successful on it...

Making money is not always the main important thing, you should also love what you are doing. If you think that you can really handle this business and you'll be inspired with this business for as long as you think you'll be, then sell your beloved car (you can always buy another when you get to extra profits from your business).

Just think this first before finalizing your decision and not just be successful but also be fulfilled. :)

6. rinoa

rinoa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi, jhl!

having a job is not bad, but, if you have great dreams or you want to have a great future for you and your family i believe being on a job will not take you there.income from your job will only pay for your bills but is not enough to buy your dreams. youre still young take advantage of it by taking new challenges.
    Godbless..

7. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have a great passion for this business, there are several possibilities safest you can do:
    1. You keep working and collecting money to buy a truck
    2. You sell the car to buy a truck

Alternatively, you can borrow money from the Bank as capital to buy a truck. But borrowing money from the Bank is a dangerous thing if we dont understand how to manage our finances, so I dont really recommend this way..