Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by agentmanningctu, Oct 25, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay, so I'm about to start college in January. So hopefully I will graduate in four years with a degree in Elementary Education. I will then go for my Master's.

Given the horrendous economical state of US public schools, how worried should I be? Every month it seems there are new cuts. In the schools near me, there is a furlough day every week or two. In Los Angeles, there is a furlough day every week. It's getting out of hand.

I don't understand how cutting education funding helps the economy. Taking away from children will hurt the whole world in the long run.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We've got very similar issues here in Ireland, Agent. The government is spending billions bailing out the banks, while at the same time cutting expenditure on education. Ireland has been very successful over the years in attracting major corporations to locate here, through our foreign direct investment programmes. These companies are major employers and the main thing that has attracted them to Ireland is the quality of our educated workforce. Obviously there are lots of other advantages to having an educated workforce, but this is just one way that shows education is a good investment.

From what you say above, it will be another five or six years before you finish your Masters. The world will be quite a different place by then. So my advice would be that if you are passionate about studying elementary education then go for it, don't try to predict what the world, economic or employment situation will be like in 5 / 6 years time, truth is no one can really do that. You will have a lot more clarity by the time you finish your degree, and if need be you could change direction a little when choosing which Masters course to complete.

Good luck with it!

3. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm definitely set on Elementary Ed., I'm just very nervous. I'm not going to be making big money with that job even in stellar economic times.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Agent, there will also be other career opportunities open to you, when you complete your education. You won't necessarily be restricted to working for the government in a teacher position. Other options that come to mind are working for an education book publisher or other business that sells to the education sector, you could set up your own private teaching / tutoring business or even write your own children's book.

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't worry. There will always be a need for education, even private if school places are cut.

Cutting the funding happens in every downturn but then increases again in the good times. It is not always down to the governments, a lot of education facilities waste money of things that are not really needed and when there is a dip they panic and it is staff that take the hit, usually because the people running them are not business people so don't really understand the need to balance the books.

Given how long it will take you to finish and if it is something you have a passion for then go for it.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dont worry and worry doesnt help. The voice from the public is actually influence the government decision. when this issue getting worst and worst, sure public will make some noise and government will take some action on it.

7. myusacorporation

myusacorporation
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think here we touch a delicate topic that smells like politics and ideology – how involved should the government be in market related decisions. Personally, I don't think it should at all, as I don't believe in public education. If we already are talking about where the government cuts and where it doesn't you will quickly discover that bank bailouts (as mindless and unjust those bailouts are) are not the real problem here, and cuts in education are not the "direct result" of bank bailouts, but just another symptom of the same disease. The disease is ridiculously inflated nanny-state.

To your question, agentmanningctu: if you choose Elementary Education out of love for this topic and don't plan to make big money anyway, thats totally fine, if you have a back up plan on how you will finance your life. By choosing this profession today you are taking a big personal risk. In my opinion the state of public schools in the US will only deteriorate to a point of collapse, which I personally see as a good thing, because it would force the market to adjust and establish a private education system, based on merit and not on political correctness. In the long run thats the only reasonable and just system of education, thats forces everyone involved to improve constantly.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you apply that for all levels of education, e.g. do you believe that a six year old child should not get to go to school, if his/her parents can't afford to pay for private education?

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is what I was going to say too. And even once you're qualified, you'll be able to look for work in other countries too if you wanted to teach overseas and see a bit of the world. The State Department has a page all about teaching opportunities abroad, and that would include teaching kids in US bases worldwide. Heck, you could hop over to Canada if it's better there.

There's no way you or I can predict what things will be like by the time you qualify. Just keep your head down, get your qualification and stay positive. Trust me, everybody that has or is looking for a job has the same worries about the future. Since you can't control it, there's no point in worrying about it.

10. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

myusacorp, Money really isn't something I'm worried about. I could make a lot more money as a lawyer, but I'd rather do something I love. I don't plan on spending a lot of money anyway. I've been very fortunate so far in life, and I don't really need to buy a lot of stuff to be happy.

Kay, I've always thought about Canada. I'm going to check it out and see how they're doing.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good for you. :) There's always other doors ready to be opened in life. And when you're young (and assuming here also without a lot of ties), it's the best time to see a bit of the world. I found some information at the Canadian Teachers Federation on how you go about teaching there if you're from outside Canada. That was just a quick look. I'm sure you could find out plenty more on that site.

Something else I did find really interesting for future consideration: there's a Canadian teachers exchange program (CEEF Educator Exchanges) where teachers can go to different provinces and teach for one year. You also exchange residences with the teacher that takes up your post. What a great way to see the country! When you tired of one place, you could have a change of scene and there's no loss of benefits or seniority either. It has international exchanges too.

CEEF Program Information

See, plenty of reasons to stay positive! :)

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Speaking of teachers and lawyers, I love the video below, which is an excellent explanation of the valuable role teachers play in society.

[Youtube]0xuFnP5N2uA[/youtube]

13. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kay, I get the feeling it would be hard to get into the Canadian program on that page without having relatives there or meeting one of those special points like being fluent in French (which I am not).

The CEEF Exchange is a really cool program. I'm going to need to keep that in the back of my mind. I agree with the 5 years minimum teaching experience req., but it makes me antsy hehe.

Fergal, that's one of the best videos I've ever seen.

14. blow-molding

blow-molding
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that it is government that who should be worried about this problem.

15. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually the situation is gets worse when you come to know that the governments spent 90 percent of the budget on army and security but It seems they do not want to secure their future thats why they are always in shortage of funds when it comes to education I am also very confused about the future like you Let's just hope for the best

16. myusacorporation

myusacorporation
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be more accurate, here are 2006 numbers on government spending (from wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_spending#United_States_of_America

It seems like military spending comes forth after Education, Health Care and Pensions. So tell me again, what is the problem with public education? Maybe, yet again, its the government that is the problem?

17. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Education is more important that all of those, so it should have the most costs. That was also in 2006. Since then, Education has had by far the most cuts of any government spending.

18. Serena5589

Serena5589
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Never mind. You should believe that all will go well in the end. Good luck to you and all people in the world.