Should I add a live chat?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by hcted, Jul 15, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was looking to add a LiveZilla chat button to my site to allow for people with inquiries on my business to connect with me or other staff directly.

My competitors do not offer this. Ideas? Should I add it?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anything you can offer that the competition can't is always good. I love live chat. If the option's there on a site I'm at, I'd use it before I would send an email. It's worth using if, and only if, you're going to be able to man it sufficiently. If you can't cover the majority of the day or have staff that will, I wouldn't bother. It's very annoying to see a live chat that's always unmanned when you want to use it, even more so than it not being available at all. You would also need to ensure the staff are properly trained of course.

I don't know anything about LiveZilla but I can vouch for Crafty Syntax. We used it and liked it. Have you considered that? I'd discussed it at length here at BAF in this thread. Fergal also spelled out beautifully the benefits of live chat there.

Crafty Syntax is open source so costs you nothing to give it a whirl. If you decide live chat's not worth having after that, you've spent nothing but time. :)

Good grief, I just noticed that thread's pretty old now. :) I'd bet it's got even better in the last few years because back then it was streets ahead of paid ones we'd considered. Their site has plenty of screenshots that give you a good idea what it's like. Hope that helps!

http://craftysyntax.com/

P.S. And if you need someone on the other end to help you test it or the other one, I'd be glad to do that sometime.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Kay, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it's a good idea to add livechat, but you should also ensure someone is manning the livechat and readily available to respond to any customer query.

Customers appreciate it, that someone is on the other end and available to answer their chat queries.

Cheers

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

hcted are you considering Live Chat for your web design site? My experience is that it can work very well on a site and do wonders to increase the amount a business can sell from their website.

Please see some of the benefits below, that you can give to your customers and potential customers by offering Live Chat on your website;

1. The communication is in real time
    2. Little pro-activity is required on behalf of the website visitor. All they need do is click a button on the website, to start a conversation
    3. The website visitor doesn’t require any extra software, hardware or a telephone connected to their computer in order to use Live Help
    4. Shopping cart abandonment rate refers to the percentage of visitors who commence a website purchase but don’t complete the purchase. The availability of Live Help in the shopping cart area helps to reduce this shopping cart abandonment rate and hence increase sales
    5. Cost effective –Live Help communication is more cost effective per contact, than telephone communication
    6. The availability of Live Help on a website increases customer satisfaction and trust in the website. US based research conducted by Northstar Research Partners on over 650 frequent online shoppers revealed that;
      a. More online customers are highly satisfied after receiving customer service via Live Help, than any other form of customer service
      b. Customers with above average online expenditure are more likely to have used Live Help and 67% of them said they are more likely to visit sites that offer Live Help.

In summary, most visitors to commercial websites leave the site, without ever communicating with the business behind the site. In other words, they don't take the time to telephone or email the site. Offering Live Chat makes it much easier for them to communicate with you, all they need do is click a button to start the conversation.

As Kay said, if you do offer Live Chat, you need to ensure that it is manned and that you or someone else is there to respond to chat with your customers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

You have good answers above already. Main thing is if you have live chat to make sure its manned. Nothing worse than having a live chat that is not live or never has anyone on it. Sort of defeats the purpose.

Regards

6. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks everyone for the answers! I will definatly be adding this in sometime soon. I wanted to use LiveZilla because I found it has a software for the computer to allow you to be logged in out of the browser. That works for me because I already have enough windows and desktops open to have another one hogging space. I have used Crafty Syntax before and do like it, for those wondering if they should add it or not. I just prefer LiveZilla for the Desktop Application they provide.

It also gives me the ability to add people and departments, for future unnamed employees. lol.

Well thank you everyone for the answers, helped me in my choice of adding a live chat.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update hcted. We'd be happy to test it our for you, once you have installed it, if that helps at all.

8. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sure will, I will look into it tomorrow and seek help then. Thanks!

9. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tomorrow is saturday. might be more people around monday to help

10. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, I mean Friday, or today. I am confused. The 16th lol. I am past 12 am here so I am confused lol. And I will just need someone to do a test chat to make sure I didn't screw anything up :p

11. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,
    as an update, the chat is live and works good. I was able to test it via browser and admin side. Thanks for the input on this!

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good to hear! I'm glad you got it sorted out without too many headaches. :) Which site did you add it to? I'm nosey and would like to see what LiveZilla looks like.

13. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

http://chatbam.com :)

14. haramarcuse

haramarcuse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since online shoppers tend to talk live to a person to place order or ask question, then click to call system is a good service for that.

15. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

went to drop by but its offline. Maybe putting hours there is someone online?

regards

16. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't say exactly when I will be online because I don't have set offices hours that I am in. It is flexable, but I try being there.