Should, and could I attend Summer Semesters in College?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chrisj0401, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Should, and could I attend summer semester community college and still be covered by grants or/and scholarships?

I don’t need the summer break off. From what I've research Spring Semesters end in general around May, then Summer Semester starts in May to August. Each Semester generally is 4months long. Now I'm not interested in attending the summer semester that is 2months and the processor crams as much as possible from a 4month course into 2months, making it much more harder to pass the class with a larger workload and faster pace. I don't want to take any breaks because I tend to forget a lot within a month. Even a lot of people want public schools today to have no summer break to increase scores, which I totally agree it would. And I want to apply this method to my education as well.

#1 Chrisj0401, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you don't need the break and you feel that a Summer semester would help your studies then by all means do it. In relation to whether or not this will affect your grant, the quickest way to find that out would be to contact the authorities awarding the grant. They will be familiar with that particular situation from previous students and they should be able to give you an answer quite quickly. Regardless of how they answer ask if there is any documentation that they can refer you to for further details. It's always good to have that kind of info in writing.

3. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well I'm going to talk to someone at the college today about the financial aid part, hopefully I can get grants to cover all semesters including summer. I plan to have the 12 credits minimum to be eligible to being a full time student to get the grants. I'll take 12 credits on each semester and hopefully get all As.

If I cant get the funds I may have to use up the max 15-16 credits per semester which I dont want to do really because I know I can focus better with the least amount of required classes. Of course this may change after my first semester depending on how easy or how hard the work load is to me, and right now I'm clueless on how difficult it will be on me. I know my reading speeds will play a big role on my pace, but I think I have pretty darn good comprehension than ever before so that would help a lot.

What you guys think take the 15-16 max credits per semester or just try to work on the 12 credits minimum and go to summer semesters as well to stay caught up or get ahead?

#3 Chrisj0401, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This is really very difficult for us to answer as we don't know your academic abilities. You might also speak to someone at the college about this. They should be able to make a recommendation to you based on your academic history and your existing knowledge of the relevant subjects.

However, saying all that, if it was me, I'd probably start the first semester with 12 credits. If I was comfortable with that and felt I could do more I would then aim for more credits in future semesters.

5. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Gotcha.. thank you..

A financial aid question.

I just want to comfirm this with you or anyone here.

I get a Pell grant, that would last 1 full school year, such as Fall/Spring semesters? or all 3 Spring/Fall/Summer?

Also I applied for aid back in June 30th, and received it on July. Now this was for Spring 2010 semester. I passed the deadline from state financial aid, but I got the Pell grant. I was told from other places on the net, that I would need to re-apply from scratch on the FAFSA. What would happen to my current Pell Grant, go away as it wasnt used this year?

I've heard financial aid can take months to get to me officially, I'm worried that I wont have it ready by the time I want which is Jan2010 for Spring 2010 semester. And I didnt apply at the school as well since I'm not ready to test the Placement test, I wanted to wait until Jan2010 since one of the assistants at the school said I could, so I want to take every possible advantage to prepare for college.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Chris, the best people to answer your questions are the people awarding the grant. Why not make a quick call to them and ask your questions? They will be well used to calls like that and should be only to happy to help you.

7. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yup did that, I called admissions and they told me I needed to apply to the school right now and did that on their site. So I'll be taking the placement test on early Jan2010 and hopefully my aid would be ready by Jan20th, which I doubt aid can just magically appear within 2 weeks to me.. I dont know.. just a wait, see, and hope approach.