Should a vendor change his quote after the job is done?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by pegasus5726, Aug 11, 2012.

1. pegasus5726

pegasus5726
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When someone quotes a price for a ethernet installation job (residential), and the job takes more time, should I pay more?

I looked on Craigslist for someone to install Ethernet into my home. I called several vendors and they came to my home and gave me estimates. I went with the lowest bidder, who went into my attic to see what the situation was at the time he gave the quote. He said he's been doing this work for 15+ years. He said it would take about 10-12 hours and would charge me $550 labor + $50 materials. He turned out having to work about 20 hours to complete the job. At the end, he said it was really a $1000 job because it took much longer than he anticipated, and he had to crawl in the attic and got bumped and scraped there and had to breath in the fiberglass and it was probably 120+ degrees in the attic (he could have come early morning or done it late at night when it was cooler), and he felt I should pay him more. (He had in fact worked VERY hard the entire 20 hours). It was very late (midnight) when he finished (this was his second day of work) and I am a single female, and I felt rather uncomfortable with this conversation so late and I was exhausted, so I just paid him the $1000, but it was mainly under duress. What is the right thing to do in a situation like this? Should he have kept to his quote? Or should I have paid more because it took him so much longer?

Also, I want to add that though he looked in one portion of the attic at the time of the estimate, the other portion of the attic he didn't venture into until he was actually working, and there was only crawl space in there and very difficult working conditions, VERY hot, and I do realize it was a very tricky and difficult job. He said most would not have been able to accomplish what he did as most would have felt it was impossible to do.

#1 pegasus5726, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

In my opinion he should have stuck to this original quote. He's supposed to be the person with the experience and knowledge about what he does. Hence, it was his responsibility to price the job correctly. If he felt that there was a chance that the job would take longer and that the price could be much higher than quoted he should have advised you of that in advance.

Obviously I don't know the full circumstances, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he was well aware of that and took the opportunity to maximise how much he was paid for the job.

Do you plan on making a complaint about him to a consumer association or some similar organisation?