Short link vs. Long link

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by RestOwner, Jun 22, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With sites like tinyurl and bit.ly getting more popular, do you think it's important to shorten your long links?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It depends on where you are using those links. If you are building links back to your site, with the aim of improving your search engine listings, you should use the long version, so that the link goes directly to the relevant page on your site. On the other hand if you are sending links via email or posting them on Twitter, it is probably more convenient to use a URL shortener.

3. bmk

bmk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

I think that using the full link link building gives a real advantage to the internal page of the website,and the page optimization grows rapidly
    and ultimately helps the website to grow

4. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

really? I thought a long link may look a bit sloppy and people might hesitate to click on it.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on where you will use it. I suggest you to use the original link instead of the short one.
    If you have a good constructed site link, it will definitely help you, SEO wise.
    Url shorteners main use is to spread your site's link in places that have a limited character count, like Twitter, to save space.

Are you sure about that? I tend to click more on full link rather than shortened one.

6. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I on other hand like to click on short ones.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But there are some dangerous sites that are hidden on shortened URL.
    So I always prefer the long ones so I can check the realiablity of site site first before entering if I found something suspicious.

8. pwsolutions

pwsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that absolutely depends where you are posting your links. if that is some kind of no-follow social bookmark site, you should use the shorten version. but if that is do follow, use the full version because that helps search engines to recognize your site.

9. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, that depends where you see the short link first. I mean if I know which site I'm on or I know who shared the link I wouldn't be so cautious. But, it doesn't hurt to be preventive.

10. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, this depends upon what type of link you are using. Like, if you are using your own site then the original link will be good. But, if you are looking to promote it for an Affiliate site then it is recommended to use short URLs to does not lose your commissions.

11. josaphlewis

josaphlewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use long links if you want to improve your search engine listings. If you want to send links by sending an email or post them on Twitter, use short ones.

12. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the problems with using shortened URLs in email marketing is that most of
    them are blacklisted by SPAM blockers or filters and it may prevent your message
    from getting through to the recipient.

Unfortunately almost all spammers use these URL shortening services to mask their
    affiliate links.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Plus, you can't really tell if the site behind that short URL is safe or not.