shop shelf rental space

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by ML Candles, May 17, 2016.

1. ML Candles

ML Candles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi I've recently started on a new online business selling scented natural soy wax candles I wanted to try and get it into some retail shops I have herd a few people say you can rent shelf space in a shop and pay a small fee for them to take payments and all you have to do is go and restock when your products are running low. I currently have a full time job and it would be hard for me to open something up full time if anybody has any information about any shops that do this in the north west of England preferably Cheshire Chorley areas that would be great thanks Danny

2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Danny,

I've never heard of a retail store renting space on its shelves, but it makes sense. In the United States, there is a somewhat similar concept called "slotting fees" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slotting_fee).

I suggest that you visit some small boutiques in your area and talk to the owners. I don't think that large retail chains would be interested and even if they were, you couldn't visit them and keep them stocked with your responsibilities at your full time job.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

After reading Business Attorney's reply above, I tried searching Google for you,. and found a couple of different types of places. In the USA, we have what is called a "consignment shop", a place that will sell your goods for you. However, this looks like a place that takes personal property and sells it, not merchandise from wholesalers. The other idea is a "shop within a shop", where you would have a mini-store within an existing store. Unfortunately, with a full time job, this would not be practical for you.
    Instead of going through all that, why not just approach gift shops, or boutiques as Business Attorney suggested, and ask them to carry your candles as part of their merchandise assortment. You could take care of the initial set up of the display, but re-ordering more stock as needed would be their responsibility, not yours. You would just need to pack and ship the orders to them. You can pack the orders on your own time, then drop them off for shipping on your way to work, or on the way home. Here in the US, we have places that do the packing and shipping for you. Unless you ship to several places at once, this may be an option for you.