Shipping Solutions Question

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Lyikos, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Lyikos

Lyikos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm looking for a way to arrange for a customer to be able to ship packages to me, with me paying for shipping when I receive the package?

I called the USPS customer service about this and they were less than helpful. I don't wanna go with UPS just yet because their prices are higher and I don't want to pay them just yet. Though I may have to if its the only option.

Any suggestion on how to arrange such a service, I want to create a site that would let me buy things form the public.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What country are you based in Lyikos?

Some of the cash for gold websites have a similar business model, it might be worth checking them out to see what you can learn from how they do it. You could use their contact pages to get a little more info on how they do things.

Would it be possible for you to run your business through eBay? They have a huge marketplace set up already and maybe you could buy through that.

3. Lyikos

Lyikos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm in the US, I already plan to go with ebay at first, but it seems impractical as the permanent solution.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My suggestion would be to start phoning every delivery company that you can find, e.g. FedEx, TNT etc. Ask them if they can provide the service you need and if they can't ask them if they can recommend anyone who could. If you can't find anyone to do it, maybe that's a business opportunity in itself.

What features or services do you need that eBay can't provide you with?

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't seem to understand what you want. Do you mean that your customer will send you the item and you will be the one to pay the shipping when you received it?

I might base my answer on my experiences. Basically, when you have something bought from another person from another place, you'll be the one to pay him for the shipping fees so he can ship it to you. I don't think there's a shipping company that would allow "ship now, pay later" on your items that will be shipped to you.

Before they can render their shipping service, you need to pay them first.