Share internet marketing questions to ask in interview

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Andym, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Andym

Andym
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to find some really good questions related to internet marketing to use them while I interviewing candidates.

The checklist can be:
    1. Questions related to SEO
    2. Questions related to PPC
    3. Questions related to Affiliate marketing
    4. Questions related to online advertising
    5. Any Other similar good question that you can think of

Thank you!!

2. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would ask them what they knew about your business and if they knew nothing, i'd say come back when you are a grown up marketer.
    If they have a convincing understanding of your market and your position in that market i would ask them if they have ever worked on a SEO/PPC/aff campaign, end to end.
    Ask them to give you examples of their work and references.
    Then once you got all that, test their technical skills.
    Cheers
    Stephen

• Like Like x 1
  3. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe try this question It is a SEO related question.

What are the latest trends and tactics in getting my site in first page of Google?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like the suggested questions by Stephen and youngkia1. When I've interviewed people in the past I tried to get an understanding of their knowledge and interest in the industry and their ability to use that knowledge get things done. To that end I ask general questions about the industry so that they can display their knowledge and then ask them about their previous successes to determine if they have the ability and motivation to use that knowledge in a practical way.

This blog post from 2000 is a little old now but it still contains excellent advice on how to conduct an interview, I think you could get some very useful tips from it The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing, by Joel Spolsky.

5. perform mktg

perform mktg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree and I disagree...

A good online marketer cannot possibly be an expert in every industry he markets for nor is it "required". What is required is that they have a track record of results for effectively marketing businesses online. I took a precision manufacturing business to #1 in 3 days AFTER re-doing his site with the right SEO and I know nothing about that business - but I did ask a LOT of questions of the business owner and they worked with me so I had the right understanding of what to go after! Admittedly, It almost never happens that fast, but this was a very non-competitive market online

Online marketing principles are pretty universal - I'd ask questions relating to how they will work with you, how often, what will they be doing - video, articles, Press releases, etc. Ask them how they will be developing, building and working a campaign for you and how they will track and report that progress to you...ie: how they will be held accountable for their work. Do they have "unscripted" video testimonials from other clients they have worked for? Have them show you what they have done for other clients via a google search - where are these clients ranked for the keywords they went after? Do they have videos, articles, press releases, backlinks from multiple sites, social bookmarks, etc they will show you. Find someone who is more than willing to share their specific results and citations for other clients and you'll know you have someone who will help you as well.

I'd run away from anyone making "fast" claims. Realistically, you need to give them at least 3-6 months on average - it really depends on how competitive your industry is online. You as the owner need to make sure you do your fair share as well. Are you ready to get more reviews from your customers? Will you write informative articles about your industry expertise that your marketing guy can market? Are you will do do the videos needed to market? Be ready to educate your marketing guy and give him the content he needs to market and then let him do his job and hold him accountable to the work being done and you will see results.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with that 100% perform mktg, when I said "knowledge and interest in the industry" I was referring to knowledge and interest in SEO and the SEO industry, not to a knowledge and interest in the client's industry. Thanks for sharing your suggestions re questions to ask and how you would check for evidence that the candidate can do what they say they will. That's very practical and helpful advice.

7. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

what about Web 2.0 questions like blogs and forums

8. Ella Pacey

Ella Pacey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Below questions related to SEO:
    Que 1 ) What is Search Engines ?
    Que 2 ) How to achieve Google Page Rank ?
    Que 3 ) What are Meta Tags .
    Que 4 ) What is Value of Title Tags used in Website ?
    Que 5 ) What is Site Map ?
    Que 6 ) Why we use Robots.txt File ?
    Que 7 ) How Keywords are Choose for Optimization ?
    Que 8 ) What is Black Hat SEO ?
    Que 9 ) What is Cloaking ?
    Que 10 ) What is Blog Flipping ?
    You can refer, I'll send answers list later.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Internet marketing is the way of promoting the products and services over internet by using the digital technologies. There are various methods that are used for online business promotion such as search engine optimization, pay per click, newsletter marketing, forums posting, banners exchange and direct sales through internet.

This question will help you to prepare interview.

Define Internet Marketing
    Describe Search Engine Optimization
    What do you know about PR
    How to rank well in Google.
    What is newsletter marketing and what tools you use for it?
    How do you manage Pay Per Click campaigns?
    How do you perform keywords analysis?
    How do you prepare the landing page?

10. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First, ask about what is his/her understanding about SEO. If he/she already know about it, try to give him/her a situation where he/she needs to do both onpage and offpage optimization.

Well as for me, I usually don't know what kind of site will I optimize that's why SEOs should practice good research habits. Online Marketing can be a drag especially when the industry is really competitive. If the industry is not that competitive trying to get all the competitive keywords to number one will be your best bet to be successful online.