Seven Hints to Stay Safe Online

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Joseph.Shivell, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Recently, high profile social networking accounts like French President Sarkozy, pop statr Selena Gomez, and even Mark Zuckerburg, have been attacked. With the popularity of social networks growing, it's important to know how to protect yourself.
    Online security software provider McAfee has provided a list of seven steps you can take to protect personal information.

1) Update your browser - Make sure you are using the newest version, to make sure you have the latest protection.

2) Do It in Private - Public Wi-Fi spots are convenient, but they are also insecure.

3) Keep 'em guessing - Use different passwords for every site. It may be hard to remember them all, but that means anybody who steals the password for one site can only access that site.

4) Double-check the domain - Make sure that the site you visit is the legitimate site you wanted to visit, not a realistic-looking spoof site.

5) Suspicious messages are suspicious for a reason - Ever get a message that seems to be from someone you know, but who almost never contacts you, but they now send you a link to a website they want you to check out? If a message seems suspicious, delete it.

6) Clear history and log out - When using a public PC, clear your history when you are done, and make sure you log out of any site you logged into.

7)Protect your PC - Make sure you have a suite of tools that protects against viruses, spyware, malware, phishing, and other malicious programs. And, make sure you have the latest version of these tools.

From an article in PCWorld, excerpted on Yahoo News.

• Like Like x 1
  2. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The easiest and cheapest way of protecting your PC is by completely deleting your Windows Operating System and installing a Linux OS release. No longer will you need most of those protection tools because Linux operating systems are 100 times safer than any protected Windows. BTW most of them are free.

And, in case you need Windows for whatever reasons, you can run it within the Linux OS in a boxshot installation.

3. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i use a ethernet cable so i dont have to worry about my router and info being exposed haha

4. kevinpeter

kevinpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do it in private. Public Wi-Fi hotspots like those at McDonald's or Starbucks are very convenient, but they are also--in a nutshell--insecure. There is typically no security or encryption enabled which means that anyone within range of your wireless connection can potentially intercept your data, including any account numbers or passwords you might type in.

In general, you should stick to reading the news and weather at public hotspots, and avoid ever typing any username, password, or other account data that should be kept private. If you absolutely must log in to Facebook, at least use the new security setting that uses HTTPS to set up a secure, encrypted connection with the social networking site.

5. deanncarl

deanncarl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Always change your password frequently - especially for your banking sites, etc. And don't have the same password for every site - even though it might be convenient - don't do it! And yes, HTTPS is good - you know you are on a secure site. Most people don't even think about that!

6. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I think all of these are pretty big. The problem with a lot of people is they use one single password for everysite they go to. I also know some people that don't even have any type of security on their computer. We just happened to be at their house and wanted to check something on the Internet and when he found out there was no security on it, he added one right away, after asking though. He ended up of getting rid of a whole bunch of spyware and viruses. You name it, it was on the computer :eek:

7. AvailHosting

AvailHosting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for providing the good information. No one can get this any where.

8. jonathan10387

jonathan10387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can I use it?? I don't have much idea about this. Please share this ...

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

10. forex legend

forex legend
    uix_expand uix_collapse

how to do this bro, sometimes iam afraid to install an antivirus because does not really trust with this antivirus program..

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

forex legend if you use any of the well known and reputable anti virus software products you should be fine. Have a look at providers such as;

http://www.eset.com/ - I use a paid version of this myself
    http://free.avg.com
    http://www.kaspersky.com/
    http://www.symantec.com/endpoint-protection
    http://www.mcafee.com
    http://www.avast.com
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

You should really only have one anti-virus product on your computer and using the products of any of the above should be a great help to keep you safe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In Mozilla I have installed a plugin that cautious me of phishing attacks....so I think browsers should have phishing plugin installed ...to aware them of any possible attack before itself...

13. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you share what plugin that is?

14. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think some of the antivirus will have plugin for your browser like AVG. But, It also has its own search engine and the results aren't good at Google.

15. e-bus.org

e-bus.org
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion the reason which make Linux safer than Windows is the number of users. Windows has a really large number of users which motivate hackers to focus on it more than any other operating system.

16. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Only just seen this, but I wanted to say what a good article it was. Thanks for posting.

17. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also, to stay safe online we should never reveal our personal information like phone numbers to unknown persons or strangers.

18. sheepishwolf

sheepishwolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The "Do it in private" one hits home - I was at Star Bucks with a friend, and we had both connected to the Wifi on our separate laptops. Someone must have gotten into her computer through it, because after that all of her passwords had been taken and changed around. It was an unnerving experience, and from them on I will never and have never connected to a Wifi connection that I don't trust is secure.

These are great tips, thank you for sharing. Too many people on the internet get their information stolen and their personal things on their computer deleted and intercepted because of things that could have easily been avoided by using your tips, as well as other general internet safety tips.