setup a business or be self employed?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by chrobi, Nov 24, 2010.

1. chrobi

chrobi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll be working with a company that's abroad (in europe). They want to expand to the UK. Is it a good idea to set up a limited company or should I just register as self employed? Will we be able to provide our services in the UK legally if I'm self employed? What's the best way to go?

also how will it be, if we decide to open a office some time later?

2. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would choose self-imployed as you will be respobsible only for yourself and you will feel free doing what ever you wish.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum chrobi.

Will you be based in the UK yourself?

Will the business all be done online, or will the business have a physical presence in the UK?

4. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I'm not mistaken you are choosing to work between self employed or company employed? Correct me if I'm wrong :D, If you will ask me, I'd rather go for the company, because since you will be working abroad your company is liable for you in anyways. You are assured that you will survive especially when you are sick or have an emergency situation, because the company will shoulder all thing that you need for worst case senario. Unlike self employed you are responsible for your self and the company has nothing to do with you in emergency cases. Well that is just my opinion. So i wil go to work for the company. Anyway welcome to BAF.

#4 youngkia1, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  5. MsMicaela

MsMicaela
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you actually own the company or part of it? That's my understanding of self employed because you in essence are working for yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong :D

What service are you going to offer? Everything will depend on that including if you can open up a physical office there.

Cheers.

6. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Chrobi,

First of all, welcome aboard and enjoy the forum.

If you're planning to have your own business it will give you more responsibilities than working as an employee for another company.
    well, weigh the pros and cons and decide. :) goodluck.
    hope you'll make the right decision.