Setting yourself up for Success

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, May 10, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Q. What's the one most important thing that successful people have that those who are not that successful doesn't have?

A. The answer is Focus.

Let's say that it's the end of the day and you already wanted to go home to Woodlands (a place in Singapore). You already boarded the train but Annie, a friend of yours, called you saying that there's a sale in John Little store - up to 70% off! You said that you wanted to go home but Annie insisted and you were persuaded to tag along with her.

What happened here? You've lost focus of your goals! You might still reach your goals but will be late in reaching it.

So if you want to be successful, "Be focused!" "Be focused!" "Be focused!".

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I read one of Lance Armstrong's books and he agrees with your post Nazreen. It is his belief that the single characteristic of successful people is that they are focused on what they are doing. I'd imagine that it is sometimes important not to be so focused on a single idea or goal that we miss out on other opportunities or things that are really important in life such as health or family.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I think I got that idea from that book by Lance Armstrong. I really didn't know where it came from at first but I remember reading it from somewhere.

Anyway, what's important is that we don't lose sight of our goals. Whatever your goals are, there would definitely be a lot of distractions. What we need to do is to get rid of these distractions and sometimes we need to make a lot of sacrifices. I'm not saying that we should get rid of our families and friends but to make a compromise. A compromise between your goals and time spent with family and friends.

4. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I feel, that whenever I have to much time I get unfocused.
    Take a paper and note what You have to do, then You are busy and keep focused.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Writing a todo list is quite important because this will bring back your focus on your goals. Aside from writing these and organizing the tasks that are required go reach your goals, I think it's also good to write about what got you excited about this project in the first place. This is an important tip because if you're excited about doing something, you will not hesitate to do it.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I find that to do lists work very well for me. By spending some time on the list and making sure that the most important tasks are on top of the list I know that I'm working on what I should be working on at any given time, hence I'm not distracted by thinking that I should be doing something else.

A countdown time is also useful during times when I find it particularly difficult to concentrate. I set the timer for 10 to 15 minutes and work flat out on the task, trying to get as much as possible done before it goes off. I found a good online countdown timer here.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry Fergal but I'm afraid that a countdown timer might not be good for everyone. Speaking for myself, I think this will just add additional pressure for me and I don't work well under pressure. I find that I can do more work when in a relaxed and soothing environment. Aside from that, I have asthma so getting overly excited and under stress is the last thing I want to do.

Again, this is just me. An online countdown timer might work for others as well.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nazreen, it is interesting to note that what works for one person wont necessarily work for another.

A countdown timer works a treat for me at times when I find it difficult to concentrate, but as you say everyone is different and we have to find what works best for us as individuals, "know thyself".

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This reminds me of Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

I guess knowing yourself is the first thing you need to know when going to battle or business. After that, I need to know my enemies - the competition. So now going back to the topic of this thread, we all need to focus too on knowing thyself and thy enemies so we won't fear for a 100 battles.

10. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is true, that focus is all what you need. During those condition, you've to realize which thing is indeed very essential to you. Some may loose out their temper, or may not be able to think with better ways but what You've to do is be focused with your cool mind and do just what you need is to do first. It is necessary that you need to sort everything out early morning before it goes to end of the day, most probably by listing in diaries and completing them sortly and neglecting waste/useless things. When you do this, you can save alot of your time and extra time you'll have, can help you do upcoming/unthinked situation to be done in time properly. It may take your maturity to deal with too.

#10 DEADMAN, May 13, 2008
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aside from writing a todo list, another thing to help us be focused is the progress report. I've just started one myself on losing weight. I've just lost 1kg so far, 9kg more to go. :)

I've also indicated in the progress report the health benefits that I'll get and why I need to lose weight. Knowing the dangers of high blood pressure and high cholesterol is sufficient enough to keep me motivated to exercise.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Nazreen, before you can manage something you need to be able to measure it. By keeping a progress report you can look at your results on a weekly or monthly basis. This allows you to monitor how you are doing and tweak what you are doing to see if it brings better results. Keeping track of your results can also act as a great motivator.

13. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Checking progress often is a good way to see how you are doing. A lot of people think that they can work to get to a good level and then just leave it and let it flow.

This is not a good method.

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the time a little success goes into our heads and we become complacent, we forget our true goals. Some even become conceited and forget the people who have helped them reached this level. This shouldn't be the case. Our "little success" should motivate us even more to work hard and strive to reach our goals. Also, our attitude and character shouldn't change because of this.

15. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Every successful person has a huge reputation in the world through small business plan success. They start with simple plans, get success on them and slowly they reach to top class from starting from a simple plan. When people continously get success, they try to neglect some and think they're qualified and they can do alot better. However, they're forgetting to work more harder to climb to the success ladder. As a result they slip and fall down.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that you can't become complacent once you reach a certain level of success. On the other hand it is worth remembering that "success breeds success". Say you have a sales person working for you, for example, they will be motivated by initial sales success and this will help them to make more sales.

We can learn from both success and failure. When we are successful at something we can ask ourselves how we achieved that success and then work to repeat it.

17. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good point Fergal, People has to learn from both success and failure. People should always try and try through every success they make so that they can reach the top level of success and be a successful businessman. And also from the failure, how they'll consider and improve their mistakes and be qualified each and every time on each next try.

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, I don't understand this last sentence again. What do you mean by "be qualified each and every time on each next try"? Maybe what you meant was "confident" or maybe "persistent" and not "qualified".

19. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think there is no thing that you won't understand from the lines. It is easy as it is written by me. :) Thou, sometimes you've failure, but you should realize that this is not the ending that you failed and won't raise again. You've to consider the failure, and think it is just the beginning that you're set to trail. Yes, Qualified means You becoming experience with it and never care those failure, instead always hope for a better success in life. Actually, you should never mention or think about your failure.

#19 DEADMAN, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008