Setting Up E-commerce Site - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by superjohn4455, Jan 10, 2018.

1. superjohn4455

superjohn4455
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am setting up an e-commerce site for a friend selling jewelry. The site will feature perhaps 100 products eventually with different custom options like color, stones, chain types, etc. I need help on the following issues:

1. Shopping Cart. Some have recommended Zen Cart (free) and others have recommended paid carts like Americart. And there are about a couple hundred others. I need something that will allow for options at checkout - will Zen Cart work for this? And with the free Zen Cart, do I need to buy my own Private SSL?

2. Getting an internet merchant account. Is this best done through one's individual bank?

3. Payment Gateway Account. What will work and be secure without breaking my friends bank? Do any of the shopping cart services also provide this service?

4. Hosting. My friend's site will be fairly small volume. Will an inexpensive shared hosting like hostgator.com's $6/mo plan work? I see hostgator has a $15/mo ecommerce plan, but it seems I won't need it if my shopping cart provides Private SSL.

Thanks!

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

1. Zen cart is now very dated. My preference is to use Wordpress and Woocommerce (both free). You will need to get your own SSL. most hosting companies provide this service.

2. You need a business account and the API. The bank will help you with this. Or just use PayPal

3. Your chosen platform will have a range of payment options. Each one is different. PayPal and Stripe are easy to integrate. WorldPay and others may need a bit of work.

4. Pay more and get abetter service. Hosting location is also important. If you are in the UK you really want a UK host.

Everything you want to do will require some configuration if it's to work smoothly. You may need to do a bit of coding. Try to avoid plugins and extensions to make it work, these just bloat out and slow down the site.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Paycron

Paycron
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you own an e-commerce business, you surely need to start with credit card processing gateway. These services or merchant accounts are usually obtained from banks; however, getting them is not as easy as it was earlier. This is due to the strong competition among the banks owing to which they offer credit card processing services at high prices and strict terms.

Talking about the other benefit, you are free from studying anything, as the experts will do it all. They will provide a number of merchant accounts and solutions that will go well with your business needs. Hence, it can be said that e-commerce credit card processing consultation is the best thing here which is not there when going to a bank. Moreover, the consultation is free and helps in saving time, efforts and money.