setting up as a tour organiser

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by florence, Mar 7, 2010.

1. florence

florence
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone.

I am thinking of setting up as an independent eco friendly adventure tour organiser for groups to North Africa.

I would be using all local suppliers and offering services to people once they have arrived at the destinations.They will have booked and paid for their own flights and travel to the North African meeting point.

They will be guided by use of public transport and will stay in pre-booked accomodation which they will pay for themselves on their arrival. Their meals will be on the same basis.

My question is: Do I need to be a member of any travel agency associations i.e ATOL and also what type of insurance will I need?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

Flo

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Flo, thanks for joining and posting your business questions. What country or State will your business be based in?

On the face of it, it doesn't sound like you would need to join a travel agency association. You will not be accepting payments for flights or accommodation directly from your clients, hence they are not put at financial risk by your business. However, what you might do is ensure that you only book flights and perhaps accommodation with providers that have ATOL or other association membership and protection.

As regards insurance one good way to find out what you need would be to phone a number of insurance providers. Tell them that you are also getting quotes from other insurance companies. Ask them what insurance you need and how much they will charge for it. You will learn a lot from spending a couple of hours on the phone with these people. Be wary of insurance companies who do not provide you with enough insurance, just so that they can offer you the cheapest quotes.

You could also contact some of the relevant tour industry and tourism associations to ask them what cover you need.

Good luck with it and please keep us posted on your progress.