Setting a goal

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Matt, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you set your goals, how much time do you allow yourself to achieve that goal. What steps do you take?

2. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the goal Matt.

I usually set a short time frame for a short term goal but no time frame whatsoever for a long term goal.

I find that setting a specific time frame for a long term goal is unproductive. (I know people will disagree with this thinking.) The reason that it is unproductive for me is that it is hard to envision a really long term complicated proccess. It is important to write down what your long term goal looks like, but not to necessarily set a date for it in stone. If you set a definite date for a long term goal then you are making an unrealistic promise to yourself that you really have no idea whether or not will come true. In my opinion you are much better off asking yourself "What is my goal for this week?" "What can I do this week that will bring me closer to where I want to be?" The more badly that you want that end result, the faster you will achieve it.

3. CeceMHill

CeceMHill
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lately I've been setting really short-term goals as well. However, as Larry Elder once said, "A goal with out a plan is just a wish."

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I have one five year business goal and I also plan on running a marathon in 2012. The marathon goal is not a very definite goal, due to the fact that I don't intend to complete that goal if I feel that the training is doing me more harm than good. My other goals are daily and weekly - i.e. tasks that I want to complete in the short term. Finally I have some things that I would like to do within the next few years, I've written them down but haven't set definite dates for their achievement. I haven't looked at my longer term goals in some time, they could probably do with a little revision.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Does it ever concern you that without a target date, your long term goals may become something that you will do "someday" and that "someday" never comes. Setting a target date can have the beneficial effect of forcing us to start putting plans in place to achieve that goal.

6. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love your thought , fergal... I will add date to each of my business and personal goal.

Further more, I take one small step each day to reach my personal and business goal.... It works well for me... :)

7. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen a lot of these goals fail. I have seen times when someone would say that when they got the time, they would complete this project and I would ask them how they were doing and they said they decided not to do it. Without an ending date, you have nothing to strive for.

8. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No I am not really concerned that my goals will become a someday kind of thing. I am not one of those people. Example - I have started more than one legitimate business in my life. I started my first one in my early twenties. I knew that I had to be in business for myself and that I was done ever working for some employer ever again. I find it very easy to take action on my goals. I can't imagine not doing it to be honest. I have never been the type of person who just wished that someday something would happen. I make up my mind and I just start doing it. In fact, sometimes I start doing before I spend enough time planning. I often find myself using the ready - shoot - aim approach.

I don't really worry about whether or not I will complete my really long term goals. Those long term goals of mine are very lofty indeed. I know that the true joy comes from working toward them and seeing yourself getting closer. I know that once I achieve them, I will have to set new goals for myself. As of now I cannot imagine more important goals than I am already working towards. As long as I am making reasonably steady progress towards them, I don't worry at all. People who make promises to themselves based on dreams without roadmaps are setting themselves up for future failure. As someone else mentioned here before, you have to have a plan for reaching it. Otherwise it is merely a wish.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the reply jsingerston, and apologies if there was anything in my post that came across as being in any way critical, it certainly wasn't meant that way. You are obviously very driven and it is great that you can work towards your goals and achieve them in this way. Personally I find that I have to make an effort to push myself and that it is easier for me to do this when I set deadlines and force myself to work towards my goals. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and perhaps this is an area where I need to improve. I previously touched on my personal experience in this area in this thread - Are you naturally driven to succeed or do you push yourself?

10. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends,but mostly i take a lot of time,when setting goal I think carefully.

11. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No offense taken. Figuring out how to make the most of one's life is something that every man ultimatley decides for himself according to his own standards.

12. roger

roger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. First important step what do you want from your life. It is very important for you to know what you want to achieve, in your life. If you are not sure what you want from your life you may not be able to achieve your goal that you have set. according to people goal is something which need to be under estimate all the time, people who think in this way, for them there is no importance of goal, and that's why such kind of people never succeed in their life.

2. the second step is write down atleast 4 reason why you want to achieve your goal, these reasons will motivate you to keep going. these reason will help you to work more faster than before to reach nearer to your goals.

3. the third step is write down all your goals on a piece of paper, that you have to do. the difference between a dream and goal is written in words, if you do not write your goals in words they will remain as a dream for you. you will not be able to turn your dream into reality and be a part of your life.

4. the forth step is make sure that there should be a deadline of your goal which will create curiosity in yourselves to work more faster to reach towards your goals.

5. the fifth step is the goal you have set must be clear and specific. if your goals is clear and specific it will be easier for you to achieve them. if your goals is clear you are sending clear message to your mind, so that your mind will work with clear concept and would come out with more new ideas and strategies.

6. the sixth step is write down all the strategies and new ideas and action that you have plan on a piece of paper that you think can help you to achieve your goal.

13. Joel

Joel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually when i set a goal, my time frame to achieve that goal would be around 10 days to a month.

14. Blake123

Blake123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am usually not so strict with the time, the main thing still is reaching the goal
    besides I always make some changes, find some difficulties so to say, so the goal is harder to reach in the end

15. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all depends on what the goal is. But generally it is always wise to have a deadline for each goal. It is kind of a discipline.

16. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Goals can be short term and long term. The steps are unique to each goal but in a nutshell, I try to outline steps I can do each week to work towards my goals.