SEO value of inbound links from forum signatures

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by apexis, May 14, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A user on a forum may have a link in his signature. He may end up with hundreds, even thousands of these signature links on one forum.

How much more value is there to 1,000 of these on a single site vs 1 on that same site.

In other words, how much are additional signature links worth once you have just one ( or a few) on a certain site.

Does Google even realize they are signature links on not just random links?

2. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's my take on it.

The easier it is to get a link, the lower the value. However, the more your site is talked about across the net, even if the links are "no follow," the better. Exactly what Google "knows," no one can say with certainty.

However, one must balance that concept with webspam. Is forum activity only being done for the link? One should always add value and never do things only for the link. Doing so is spam and Google is on a campaign to wipe it out.

Steer clear.

• Like Like x 1
  3. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your advice´╝îit is really useful.

4. DanGild

DanGild
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Consider: Variety.
    As long as your website gets a variety of link profiles from numerous platforms (websites, forums, blogs, directories, social, etc), the better.
    Moreover, here is my take on forum links:

First, I'm sure everybody here knows that Google gives extra points to links been pressed by a user / users rather than links that are located within an article that won't get read very often (hence the link won't be pressed).
    I.E. when you build links to your website, assume your links should pass traffic and not just being a link.

Therefore, Can you think of web platforms that generate link traffic other than: forums, blogs, social media where your link is exposed to numerous visitors and discussion participants? I dont think so.

Hence I build forum sig. links and use other discussion-generating websites to build my links for:

1. Getting traffic & exposure via such links
    2. Every time Google gets to index a page where a discussion takes place and the discussion keeps elaborating thanks to new comers / responsers, it gives this page higher score - automatically affecting the page inbound links.

My take on it has been proved numerous times during my SEO career (7 years now).

Good luck :)

5. stopforfashion

stopforfashion
    uix_expand uix_collapse

will google think the signature link spam if it repeatly occur on one site???

6. DanGild

DanGild
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No. it is the same as Footer links. Google doesn't consider much multiple links across the domain pages. Moreover, don't you think Google know that forum platform such as Vbulletin, phpBB and such are built that way?

7. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google engineer surely know more than us. Backlink juice from same domain is devalue, however a link is still a link, it is potential generate traffic regardless of no follow or do follow.

Latest penguin update has devalue footer link. Lot of hosting provider and template provider surfer it. http://www.seomoz.org/blog/whiteboard-on-googles-penguin-update

8. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good explanation Patrick! I know I already posted the things you should know about Penguin Update you should check out the link Patrick shared it's a very useful post by Rand Fishkin. He tackled about what is the Penguin Update really is:

9. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On my end, I think forums are not the best means to insert your signature using your exact or even to your phrase or close keyword match - rather a good means to make use of call-to-actions, link baits, and use non-targeted keywords for your website (in terms of Penguin)

10. MartinLedley

MartinLedley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Forum links are probably 'nofollowed', which means you won't get any benefit from Google for them. The main point of forum links is to give quality information so that other members might click on your signature, and therefore you'll get the benefit of more visits to your site.

It won't matter how many links you have on forums that 'nofollow' their links if all you're after is link juice, but that's not really the point of forum marketing.

11. T-RexCards

T-RexCards
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Denise hit the tail on the head.

However, most people commenting about no-follow links are correct, and in-correct. A ton of forums (including this one) are do-follow, and a simple SEO plugin in your browser can help you determine which is which. Also, if you spend a few moments Google'ing you can find some awesome Do-Follow forums with great communities. The key is to post and add value to the community, not just post to link spam.

I believe in recent updates Google has de-valued in-coming links from forum signatures, but I do still believe they carry weight. The biggest thing is to make sure that you vary your anchor text!

12. Yigal

Yigal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now it's become trickier more then ever. But I agree with most of what was said here and would like to add that there are tools out there to help you find keywords on .edu blogs where you can post comments and link them back to your site. as long as your comment is meaningful, i say this because i would stay away from auto - approved blogs.