SEO Myths & Facts

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gtt, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many SEO Myths & Facts out there. But how do we know what to believe? And how do we know which are “black hat” or “white hat”?

MYTH : Meta-tags are what search engines use to rank websites.
    FACT : Search engines used to use Meta-tags to rank sites...

MYTH : Hidden text, and other ways of hiding content are good ways to increase keyphrase density on a website.
    FACT : Any tricks including hidden text to attempt to increase rankings may work in the short term....

MYTH : If you build it they will come.
    FACT : If you just build and launch a site, the vast majority of the time it will not rank and will not receive traffic....

MYTH : Google Analytics is Free.
    FACT : Yes Google Analytics is free, but setting up an account, implementing the code correctly, building filters and profiles, creating custom reports, providing support, and more takes time and more importantly expertise....

MYTH : Website-designers should know how to rank websites.
    FACT : Website-designers know how to create aesthetically pleasing websites – they want the website to look good. Many designers do not have the time, expertise or interest to be knowledgeable about Internet marketing techniques....

>>> Source

#1 gtt, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good points from the Link2City site. In addition to the stated costs of Google Analytics I'd like to point out the data costs. There is a reason Google gives it away for free - the data they get to collect about your site. There's no immediately obvious downside to you but there could be in the long run. That's an unknown cost that makes Google Analytics free only in the sense that you pay no money up-front.

3. David Messi

David Messi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for this post, so meta tags are not useful nowadays anymore?

4. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry guys i am bit junior so I still can't understand what do you mean by Google Analytic is not free. Will somebody please explain it in easy way?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Meta tags are still useful and it doesn't harm your site to include them. The most important meta tags are the meta title and description tags, search engines use them to understand what your site is about and they also use them for the content of your site's listing in the search engine results. You should try to use different title and description tags for each page of your site.

Keyword tags are not as important as they were in the past but it only takes a few minutes and it doesn't do your site any harm to add them.

There is no charge for using Google Analytics. Some people say that it is not free in that Google gathers info about sites that have Analytics installed. However, I personally would not be concerned by that and am happy to use Analytics.

6. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So if someone has formed that opinion and thinks that it is not safe to allow google. to collect the information of your site what can be the possible reasons behind such thinking

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

William everyone probably needs to answer that question for themselves. I've nothing to hide from Google and I'm happy to allow them gather info from my sites. You need to decide for yourself whether or not you are comfortable doing the same. Is there anything about your site or your traffic that you don't want Google to know about?

8. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got it fergal obviously if you are up to do something black hat or illegal on your website surely you do not want Google to know that but if someone have nothing to hide and he knows that their is nothing to fear if someone examine your site that you will happily allow Google to let you know how your site is going and what should be done to perform more better but organically. Thanks Fergal you are the best