SEO in Product Description of Shopping Cart - Do YOU do it?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Bwendo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a site with spaces (fields) available for descriptions and marketing blurbs for each product in the shopping cart.

At the moment we have just written basically honest descriptions of what the product is.

However, I am thinking that the space could be filled with relevant keywords, maybe a link back to other parts of the site, and perhaps even some other onsite marketing stuff.

The question is, what do you think is the most effective way to fill the fields? I am not sure.

What impact on seo would filling the field have on my overall site anyway? Should I target some long tail keywords in each and every product specifically (this would take a considerable investment of time so that's why i am asking if it is worthwhile)>

Looking forward to getting this sorted out for my sites and being able to share. Thanks for your participation...

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Since it is highly unlikely that someone would go directly to a specific product unless they are looking for that particular product, it isn't necessary to optimize each individual product for the SE's. I also think it is highly unlikely that someone would be looking for a particular product on your website - they are more likely to be looking for a category of product, or a product for a particular occasion. So, it would be a more productive use of your time to optimize the various category pages, in addition to your site's homepage.

3. Yana

Yana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make sure to provide easy navigation quickly and having your keywords in the right places is important for ranking while stuffing keywords in the wrong places will make you look like a spammer. Avoid placing your keywords in the business name (unless the keyword is part of your business name) and the business categories.

4. TisdaleJohn

TisdaleJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is no need to optimize every page of the website. You always just need to focus on the pages that are more content based.

5. goodbells

goodbells
    uix_expand uix_collapse

E commerce website has many pages so if you have content then interlinking is best medium to achieve rank in search engine and reduce bounce rate also..