SEO Growth Hacking...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by danemedel, Dec 13, 2012.

1. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

have you heard about this term "SEO Growth hacking?" one of my friend ask me about this and I can't give him an exact answer. lol.. It is my first time hearing about this. Yeah I know the basic seo on the web, but not as other seo gurus. I know there are a lot of seo experts here that can share their knowledge and I believe that they have a more deeper understanding and explanation about this. I already made some research but I can't really understand it well. Any ideas guys? :confused:

2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to John Doherty:

"Growth hacking is, at its essence, “data driven marketing.” It’s coming up with new ways to engage your audience, to incentivize them to share, to find ways to keep them engaged on the site longer and clicking more “things” (whatever that is – ads, links to forum posts, Buy Now buttons). Growth hacking is BOTH about growth (duh) and retention (keeping your existing customers happier and around longer, as this is how you ultimately grow)."

3. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But how can you keep that "Retention"...

4. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Growth hacking appeared as the modern way in the age of Web 2.0 to reach the market and find distribution. Instead of classic marketing which interrupts your day, a growth hacker uses pull. A growth hacker wraps messaging into the fabric of the lives of users.

A growth hacker works within the parameters of repeatable method for growth, driven by product.

5. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does growth hacking for seo is bad or not?

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In the article by John Doherty referenced above, he also says:

"Growth hacking is not about having your users sign up to your service through LinkedIn or Facebook, with promises that you won’t post anything to their Facebook or LinkedIn feeds, and then emailing all of their contacts and invite from you. It’s not about spamming Facebook NewsFeeds (think about the days of SocialCam destroying your NewsFeed on an hourly basis) in order to gain customers. You may gain them for a while, but you’ll also anger a lot of people and ultimately, I would submit, will lose potential customers because they think badly about your product and approach."

So, although Growth Hacking may not be a bad thing, in spite of it's name, the potential for abuse is there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since growth hacking may not be a bad thing(as what you've mentioned), if i will spend much of my daily time in growth hacking for my website, can i get benefits from it? Doesn't my website get harmed?

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I wouldn't spend too much time on "growth hacking" specifically, although introducing some of the "Growth Hacking" practices into what you are already doing might be a good idea. there are a couple of reasons not too spend much of your daily time on it. The first reason is because that's not what your business is. For example. if you have a computer repair business, and you spend most of your time on promoting your website, what happens to the people who want their computers repaired? Their repairs are delayed, they get frustrated, and you lose business. The second reason is, why are you doing it? Are you doing it because it is the newest buzzword, the latest "in" thing, or because it has value for your business promotion?
    If it is done improperly, no doubt it can harm your website, but that's true of many things. But, if it has value, and you can work it in to what you are already doing, give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  9. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

And that makes a "LOT" of sense. :)