SEO for my site

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by 50Cent, Sep 28, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wanted to know how can i improve or do seo on my site? Need some help to tell me what to do or guide.

Thanks! :)

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just skimmed over your coding and here's what I would improve:
    1. <title>JovinGraphics</title>: I would have it as [name] | Freelance Graphic Designer (or something related to design).

2. Description: A description, in meta tag terms, is not a paragraph. It should merely be 150 characters or so. If you do a Google search, you will only ever see the first sentence under your title, and that's because Google will only display a certain amount. A description should be short, concise, and have some keywords that entice potential clients. Listing your goals in your description is not really going to get people to use your service.

3. I personally wouldn't use flash for portfolio designs. I'd stick with JavaScript so you can optimize images, and thus links.

4. Design-wise, I think it's fairly dull, in a sense that there is a thin line between minimalistic and dull, and your site falls on the dull side of the line. Maybe work with different, vibrant colors to make it look more appealing.

5. Check out Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide for genuine starter tips that will help you.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What are the meta words or terms example?

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Meta elements are HTML or XHTML elements used to provide structured metadata about a Web page. Such elements must be placed as tags in the head section of an HTML or XHTML document. Meta elements can be used to specify page description, keywords and any other metadata not provided through the other head elements and attributes.

Here's a few good sites that could help you:
    http://searchenginewatch.com/2167931
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_element

5. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi 50Cent,

It's a littlepart of my work to do some website "audit". So i will try to give you some keys.

> Meta keywords : empty (Some told this is a useless meta, but it costs nothing to put some keywords well choosen)
    > Lack of titles on the links
    > H1 : on the first page : "GRAND Flash Album Gallery" or refers to this (i think its the tool you build this album) "Jovin Tan | Freelance Graphic Designer" should be H1
    > H2 : can be correct (navigation
    > H3 : didnt found
    > Alternative name on images : 0% detected
    > Meta description : Lot of things, i don't know if this can be bad for SEO.
    > Google : 20 url in index / PR 0

With more content / more pages / some articles well writen will put your site up in results.

Install webmaster tools, submit RSS and sitemap, check the request 1/2 month by 1/2 month. Publish at regular times (3 or more per week), link on twitter / Facebook...

Lot of things :)

6. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The keyword meta tag is of no SEO benefit in any of the major search engines (google, yahoo, bing). Given that you're in Asia where a number of smaller SE's are (relatively) popular, no harm including a small number (10 to 15) targeted keywords here (ensure all words in your keyword list actually appear on the page) in case any of the smaller SE's might support it.

No SEO benefit, but it will have a dramatic impact on your CTR if/when you do rank for a term. Keep it short and to the point, it's your chance to give a strong sales pitch in your snippet (if the SE's choose to use it) so best to feed the SE's exactly what they're looking for (<150 characters as David mentioned).

At the moment, your snipped would look like...
    No SEO benefit, but there are user benefits to doing this so still best practise.

You actually have 3 h1 tags on the page at the moment. From a semantic markup point of view, this doesn't make sense (for users or for SE's). Each page should have a single h1 tag, with the h2's and h3's nested from there.

"Portfolio", "GRAND Flash Album Gallery", "Skins for GRAND FlAGallery, Photo Galleries, Video Galleries". I'd remove the h1 from the latter 2 and rename 'portfolio' to something similar to the title tag (as VVhite suggested).

Fine, but all carry little or no benefit for you. Where it makes sense, include relevant keywords in your navigational links (and internal anchor text in general).

I'm assuming that this is due to most of your images being located within flash content. For a site heavy on images, to have zero alt text is very poor from an SEO point of view and from an accessibility point of view (e.g. users using screen readers)

One of the biggest problems you're facing at the moment is that due to a small number of inbound links (quality links passing significant link juice) you have very little link equity on the site. Due to the nature of your site, using WP as your CMS, you've generated a large number of internal links on your home page. The little link equity you do have is then dispersed among all of these pages, meaning no single page is getting any benefit worth mentioning from your internal linkage. You should really look at focusing the links to your most important internal pages, rather than simply dispersing it over every page you have.

The other thing I'd question is your current external linking. I'm not familiar with the site(s) and I haven't taken any time to review them, but in a two second glance they scream "link farm" to me. When you're a new site and haven't earned any trust/authority in the eyes of SE's, you need to be very careful with you link profile, both incoming and outgoing, if you don't want to find yourself with issues.

If you read many of the site reviews here on BAF, or elsewhere, you'll see that it's frequently the same SEO advice given again and again. It's not all that difficult and it's not about 'super secret tricks' or 'hidden steps'. It's simply about getting some of the basics right and then spending time developing great content and working on promoting your site.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

8. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok actually I don't really understand what it is talking about.. and i do not know how to do.. Can anyone help me to do? I will lent you my account after i change my password and username.

9. mauritiusl

mauritiusl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

50cent, Fergal is right about the fact that you have received quite some good advices from everyone on the forum. However SEO is much more than this. In simple term, your website as a whole should be optimized meaning title, description, keywords but also the whole content and site structure. What search engines love is "quality content" and all should be relevant to your site's meta.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent what in particular to you not understand? We'd be delighted to help you with any questions you have.

11. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not know how to apply?

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How to apply SEO for your site?

13. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like how to do SEO. I do not know how to explain.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I would like to help you there since I know a little SEO, sorry but I don't know how you can do it on portfolio sites.

15. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you know how to do on wordpress, then it will works.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent did you start reading the excellent guide that David linked to?

17. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've heard that wordpress has good tools for SEO, or modules.
    I can't really say, i do not own any wordpress.

18. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's for posts only.

19. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

WP has a huge variety of SEO tools available. Something like "all in one seo" covers the majority of areas (allows greater control of customizable url's, meta tags, etc. etc.).

20. rapidbilling

rapidbilling
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can applying our site online billing system for small businesses has really proved its quality by showing the decisive advantages.