SEO for Forum Communites

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by demonwebz, Oct 5, 2016.

1. demonwebz

demonwebz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you guys prefer to do in your opinion about doing SEO for a Forum Board? They are not like plain blogs and need much work to get going.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, calling it a "Forum Board' is redundant, since both "Forum" and "Board" refer to the same thing. This is similar to calling an Automated Teller Machine an "ATM Machine". Because the "M" in ATM stands for "Machine", you would essentially be calling it an "Automated Teller Machine Machine". People still do it, though, because the abbreviation does not include the actual word, and there was a time when peole did not know what an ATM was.
    Anyway, getting back to the subject of the thread, you're right about forums being different from blogs. Each thread can be a "mini-blog" all by itself, with each reply being an entry in the "blog". With a forum, each thread is a separate page, and can rank for keywords related to the thread, but not for the overall subject of the forum. For example, the forum you are on right now ranks in Google's top twenty for over 800 keywords, but the vast majority are for threads within the forum, not the home page itself. The home page ranks #1 for "business advice forum", but that is the only #1 ranking it has. Because of the nature of a forum, you cannot do everything that a regular website can do, but should take care of as many as you can. Use the "Title" tag and Description meta tag, because once you do rank, this will help convince visitors to click on your link in the SERP's. You obviously cannot have 300 or more words of content on the home page, but use the desired keywords where you can.
    As far as the threads themselves, the members create the content for those, but this is a perfect explanation for why members should not write short posts. Each reply doesn't need to be 300 words or more, but members can help by writing detailed posts that include a keyword related to the subject of the thread. Don't overdo it, though, because you want to avoid keyword stuffing. Don't use the same keyword too many times in the same reply.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nathani

Nathani
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO forums and SEO blogs are completely different. Because with the forum, you can register forum members and members can post their liking. A forum is a forum shoddy have many spam posts. You must ensure that you are in control of this problem.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Point taken, and, if I understand you correctly we do try to get rid of as much of the "forum shoddy" and "spam posts" as we can. My point, however, was that when a forum thread consists of detailed, quality posts, it can be considered a separate entity(a "mini-blog), and have it's own rankings. For example, the thread "What are "featured" products?" is ranked #2 for "featured product", and #3 for "featured products", where the main home page for Business Advice Forum would not be, since the phrase has nothing to do with the overall subject of the forum. In the same way, different threads in an SEO forum, and different articles in an SEO blog can have their own rankings, separate from the general terms for which the forum or blog home page would rank.

5. Magento_oCodewire

Magento_oCodewire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Doing SEO for forums is difficult than doing SEO for the blogs. In forums, you have to register and after posting 15 posts in the forums then you can become the Regular forum member. But, I think it is difficult to advertise your links and take backlinks easily.

6. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think managing the forum well and helping the others will help you to rank better because more the user engagement more the ranks.

7. The View Abu Dhabi

The View Abu Dhabi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have rarely seen any forum ranked for any keyword. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm saying that by my experience, whenever I search any SEO tutorial or tool, I have never come up with a forum as a suggestion until I specifically mention forum in the search bar.

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I'm a little confused by your post, but I'll try to respond to it. I tried to clean up the grammar and punctuation errors, so I hope I got the point right. I believe you are mentioning that when you use a search engine to search for a SEO tutorial or SEO tool, you never see forums mentioned unless you actually specify "forum" in the search term. This is probably because most SEO tutorials and tools can be used on a variety of websites, so specifying a type of website is not necessary. When you specify "forum" in the search term, the search engine now knows that you are looking for help for a specific type of website, so the results are geared toward that specific type.
    As far as the forum ranking for a keyword, you won't see that unless the forum itself is focused on a specific subject, such as "business advice" or "fantasy sports", and that is probably going to be for the home page. The individual threads within the forum, however, could rank for the subject of the thread.

9. Stephen D. Gardner

Stephen D. Gardner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Forums is really effective for website rank this technique is provide best backlinks to any website.