SEO Eng Tool & Other SEO Tools

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fergal, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've just checked BAF on seoeng.com, the results from there are extremely negative and show us failing dismally. Thankfully that's far from an accurate reflection of how we rank in the major search engines.

Am I'm missing something or perhaps not using the tool properly?

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tend to be sceptical of any tool giving negative results where they have a vested interest (I'd bet you were far keener to see 'why' the results were poor and considered signing up for the 'additional' information far more than you would have if you got glowing results)

I think the bottom line of...
    ... is the important fact here. That's the only 'evaluation' that really has any value.

I'm all for using tools to help speed up a process or assist in spotting high level issues, but I'd always tend to ignore things like 'scores' which are 100% subjective on how the algorithm is created.

It's a tool I'm not familiar with and have never used before, but when I see data like:

No. of Incoming Links for this Webpage: 242
    No. of Internal Incoming Links for this Webpage: 172
    No. of External Incoming Links for this Webpage: 70

Which is obviously well below realistic figures...

Combined with advice such as "Consider adding 'rel=nofollow'" to avoid 'link loss' (I'll be honest, I haven't spent much time trying to figure out what their definition of some of these terms are so perhaps I'm being a touch harsh), it does little to instil confidence in the figures.

It's possible that it's a great tool, but the free version doesn't provide nearly enough information to show it and I saw very little there that would make me wish to use it in the future.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've never heard of this either, Fergal. I agree with Paul on the "vested interest" there. I don't think I'd be losing any sleep over it, put it that way. :)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Paul, I'd seen positive remarks regarding the service on another thread here on BAF, hence decided to try it out. The free results they gave me turned me off the service, because in my opinion they were inaccurate - not something that would encourage me to pay for something they offer.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same here. The results I got is quite low which don't really reflect how good the traffic I'm getting from search engines, especially Google.
    And besides, I have been told before that "Don't 100% trust an automated application."

6. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's also the reason why I'm confused as well with regards to the result the he get on my site. I don't know now if seoeng.com helps me or just gives me a totally lost :confused:

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It was my fault that this was brought up in the first place. I used it to check out another member's site. That thread can be found here.
    Because most of our reps work out of their homes, we do not have the computing power or software that they can have in the office, so we use tools that are available on the web. The SEONG score is one of many tools used to evaluate a site. I am not so naive that I believe that correcting any errors that SEONG finds will get your site to page one of Google. There are also many other ways to promote a variety of different sites that can bring your site more traffic to your site, increasing it's popularity, and increasing the number of links going to the site, thereby increasing your site's ranking. So, having a low SEONG score does not mean your site's ranking on Google will be low as well.
    For sites owned by the two people above, one was a blog, the other was this forum. Because these types of sites can be promoted, and receive backlinks, in other ways, they are the types of sites that may not need a high SEONG score to receive a high ranking. For other sites, like those who sell products like t-shirts or cars, or provide a service, they may benefit from having someone optimize their site, as one step to getting a higher ranking on the major search engines

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation Joseph, it explains a lot. I suppose like any other tool, it doesn't give a definitive answer, but it can can give some helpful suggestions and pointers.

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't suggest 'fault' at all Joseph and thanks for taking the time to highlight the tool on the other thread.

In the context it was used, comparing two similar sites in similar niches, the results were relevant. As you've pointed out above, the results are less relevant in other cases where sites are different in nature (and where the algorithm used for scoring appears to place a questionably high factor on certain areas [more than 200 links on a page, high number of outgoing links, repetition of title/description, etc. - while all relevant and 'not ideal', shouldn't give as negative a mark as appears to be the case]).

From the comments in the other thread, have you got the paid version of the tool? If so, do you find the more detailed information to be valuable? (I can only judge it on the free information, which I didn't feel was that beneficial and very lacking in 'details')

When suggesting free tools for use, I normally end up with a list along the lines of:

WebCEO - can help highlight various issues with a site and monitor a variety of factors, but a fairly steep learning curve for new users.

SEO Workers - SEO Tool - A handy tool for checking the onpage elements of a given page, especially the final table as a quick overview for users not familiar with digging through source code or more technical analysis.

SortSite - Carries out a variety of 'standards' checks (ranges from SE guidelines, W3C valid code to accessibility guidelines), so handy for a quick overview. The free version is a little limited with only a '10 page' check, but the type of issues it flags are commonly/often site wide so still a handy one for a high level review (I believe it links on to WAVE for accessibility testing and W3C for code validation, but said I'd toss in the links here in case I'm mistaken).

IntoDNS - Great for checking out hosting issues (although very technical in nature, so potential for it to be meaningless to many).

None of the above will 'do the work for you', and are no substitute for understanding the basics, but they can all be handy to highlight areas for attention. Combine them with some analytics data, Google/Bing webmaster tools data, something like SEO for Firefox (or one of the various other similar add ons - which provide links out to numerous other resources) and you've got a good base of information to work with (probably more than most webmasters would ever wish to have to deal with).

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a great list of SEO tools and resources Paul, thanks for that. I've featured this thread, as it will be very useful to lots of our visitors.

11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Because we only use it as a reference, and I access it through a link on our own site, I didn't know there was a paid version. The free SEONG report is an analysis of the site's homepage, and I do know that a more extensive analysis of the entire site can be purchased - is this what you meant? I have occasionally purchased the upgraded full analysis for a prospect, but since the score either remains the same or goes down slightly, due to the same problems being repeated throughout the site, the paid analysis is not necessary. Besides, when a prospect becomes a client, we do our own analysis as part of our service, which is much more accurate.

12. ronniebryan

ronniebryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is funny -Paul,

I was just about to recommend using Web-CEO, but I saw you already did that=)

13. vanessa110

vanessa110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank Paul a lot. That's a great list of SEO tools and resources. :):):)