SEO Benefits

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Hansh, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hansh

Hansh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My online shop includes a small but growing system of of forums, one of which is a "member's lounge" for off-topic discussion, jokes, links, and so on. Currently it is accessible to registered members only; others (including search engine spiders) don't see it.

I've been thinking that if I allow non-members (including spiders) to access that off-topic forum, I might gain some small search engine benefit due to having an additional 1000+ pages indexed. (Right now I have 28,800 pages indexed in Google, and 24,500 in Yahoo.) All of these pages link back to the home page and other relevant site areas.

But on the other hand, apart from the navigation links, most of those pages aren't even remotely related to the rest of my site, or to any search terms I'm interested in. I know that linking to irrelevant pages is a bad thing; is linking from irrelevant pages, or simply having those pages on your domain, also a bad thing?

Any answers or insights are much appreciated!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Hansh.

We allow the search engine spiders to index the content of our Off Topic areas here on BAF. I really don't see that it can do any harm to your forum. You might get some traffic to topics that are not core to your site and some of those visitors just might be interested and join your forum, others may be interested in something one of your advertisers have to offer (admittedly these might be small numbers, but every little helps). The ones that are not interested in your site, will simply leave and not return. But that will not be detrimental to your site in any way.

In summary I'd suggest that you open up these forums for viewing by guests and search engine spiders. It wont harm your site and it may help a little.

3. cathleen

cathleen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO Cost-effective
    There is no payment to the search engines for being indexed. This is important for high volume, low intent phrases which can be expensive in paid-search (eg ‘car insurance’).
    It can also be useful for generating visitors on the long tail of search. Many companies bid on these phrases through paid-search, so giving opportunities for those who use an SEO strategy for the tail.

Fixed Costs With SEO
    The cost of SEO is relatively fixed, independent of click volume. Effectively, the cost per click from SEO declines through time after initial optimisation costs and lower ongoing optimisation costs. Conversely, paid-search is essentially a variable cost.
    Brand Visibility With SEO
    Think about that search on ‘auto insurance’. The big insurance companies are all desperate to make it onto the first page of Google. The ones that didn’t make it either need to buy PPC ads to be seen, which is expensive for such a competitive search query.

Web Standards / Accessibility
    Designing a website for search is an exercise in designing a best practice website. Search engine crawlers notice errors in your code, so valid code is a must for SEO. And that makes for a healthier, more accessible website. Accessible for Google’s crawlers, and for people.

Repeat Business With SEO
    Customers referred from search engines tend to stick around for longer. Increase customer lifetime revenues via SEO!
    Customer Acquisition - Targeted Prospects
    Search is demand-driven, so anybody referred from a search engine is hoping that your web page matches their search query. If it does, and you show them all the information they need to see, they may well become your next customer.

4. moni2010

moni2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as the content is light hearted then open it up. The more pages the better, it can only lead to more hits that give you a chance of more people signing up, so nothing to lose.

6. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although relevant information and page contents play a key role for a website to hit its targeted traffic, I think Sean is just right and there's no harm in trying something that could be beneficial to your site. For as long as it uses a meta tag or "dofollow" attributes then that makes a site SEO-friendly and has its SERP's reputation.

7. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm agree with all of you guys. SEO advertising is probably the most effective form of marketing ever invented.

8. ScottMarsh12

ScottMarsh12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So friends,I am here sharing few points which pointing towards the common but effective benefits of SEO..I hope that they will help to the beginners of SEO.

Cost-effective Customer Acquisition
    Global business coverage
    Promotion that Doesn't Sleep
    Focus on Unique Content
    High ROI (Return on Investment)
    Long term positioning

9. cavinsmither

cavinsmither
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO benefits include targeted traffic, increase brand visibility, high ROI, and higher sales. If the servicing of pages is done by proper validation and optimization of files, then the files become smaller in size. Making the proper choice when it comes to key words plays an important role in SEO services.
    - SEO Cost-effective. There is no payment to the search engines for being indexed. This is important for high volume, low intent phrases which can be expensive in paid-search (eg ‘car insurance’).
    It can also be useful for generating visitors on the long tail of search. Many companies bid on these phrases through paid-search, so giving opportunities for those who use an SEO strategy for the tail.
    - Repeat Business With SEO. Customers referred from search engines tend to stick around for longer. Increase customer lifetime revenues via SEO.

10. bornhaddin

bornhaddin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seo benefits are as follows:
    SEO helps in generating leads, sales or simply building awareness.There is more to search engine optimization than just marketing, as companies can derive many business benefits from using SEO.

SEO Cost-effective
    There is no payment to the search engines for being indexed. This is important for high volume, low intent phrases which can be expensive in paid-search (e.g. ‘car insurance’).

Fixed Costs With SEOThe cost of SEO is relatively fixed, independent of click volume. Effectively, the cost per click from SEO declines through time after initial optimisation costs and lower ongoing optimisation costs. Conversely, paid-search is essentially a variable cost.

Brand Visibility With SEO
    Think about that search on ‘auto insurance’. The big insurance companies are all desperate to make it onto the first page of Google. The ones that didn’t make it either need to buy PPC ads to be seen, which is expensive for such a competitive search query.

Web Standards / Accessibility
    Designing a website for search is an exercise in designing a best practice website. Search engine crawlers notice errors in your code, so valid code is a must for SEO. And that makes for a healthier, more accessible website. Accessible for Google’s crawlers, and for people.

Repeat Business With SEO
    Customers referred from search engines tend to stick around for longer. Increase customer lifetime revenues via SEO!

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Closing old thread. If the Original Poster would like it re-opened, please send me a quick PM and I'd be delighted to open it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.