SEO: Avoid tag cloud

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by band, Mar 16, 2012.

1. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do notice some of the webmaster like tag cloud, even put a spinning flash tag cloud to make it looks cool. Actually all this does not really help for SEO, in worst case it can search engine may treat it as Keyword Stuffing.

If tag cloud have such problem, how about putting too much links to navigation or blog label? The answer should be the same, we have prevent to group all anchor text to one place. Split it to various place would be more effective for SEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYPX_ZmhLqg

• Like Like x 1
  2. highpoint16

highpoint16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I completely agree with you and it should be avoided as it deviates search engine robots and confuses with cannibalization issue..

3. asad

asad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I donot think so, If your tags are relevant to topic and not more than 4-5 then it is fine. These tags acts as categories e.g if a product comes in multiple categories.

4. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it is a flash tag cloud, I don't see any harm in that. Although, search engines now found a way to crawl flash elements I still believe that it can't hurt for now. Having a tag cloud helps users know that are the latest topics and most talked about topics in your blog. Making it a navigation isn't a bad idea either because it is what I do in my blogger blog. And I don't really think it has a huge impact on cannibalization, I think you meant Canonical issues since it will give an impression to search engines that it has copied article on your blog. (e.g. /category1/subject1 and /category2/subject1 will be dupes)

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't use tag cloud actually because it makes my side bar look messy seeing those words like chicken scratches. Glad you brought this info.

6. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think tag cloud is fine, but dont over use it. I have same feeling like ownedbox, it make the keywords looks messy. It is cool for display, but not very user friendly.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you guys meant by "cannibalization"?

8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In terms of marketing or SEO perpective, cannibalization is probably making use of similar SEO aspects in different pages of one website. (Like keyword cannibalization: aggressive use of one keyword to different pages of a website) for example.

9. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. smartuser

smartuser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi sorry i am a newbies here , can someone tell me how does my site car-rentalsingapore seo look like and how to improve it

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does using Tag Clouds considered as "cannibalizing" your keywords?

Best thing is to create a new thread in this section: http://www.businessadviceforum.com/forumdisplay.php/33-Sales-amp-Marketing-Online-Promotion-amp-SEO

12. johnnyS

johnnyS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just use tag clouds on my blogs . It looks pretty yes. And can be helpful for google to find your kw. But don't overuse it.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How not to overuse the tag cloud plug-in or widget?

14. shakemelikeapig

shakemelikeapig
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually its totally depends upon how you are utilizing it, We have understand the user metric and after that we have to implement tag cloud functionality. It should be user not for search engines, you can put noindex meta tag in that.

15. johnnyS

johnnyS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

lessen your tags. Maybe 1 or 2 on your every post. Plus choose the important tag only. Most of the plugins only read what tags you have in your posts

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm talking about "tag clouds" not "tags." You can't really put only 2 tags on your site's tag clouds, right?