SEO and SMO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by RestOwner, Dec 15, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What's the difference between this two?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I have to admit SMO is a new term I hadn't heard before. According to Wikipedia, SMO is also referred to as Social SEO. To quote the actual article, "Social Media Optimization (SMO) or Social SEO is the methodization of social media activity with the intent of attracting unique visitors to website content." In other words, using social media activity to increase the number of visitors to your site.
    Where SEO is specifically designed to increase your search engine rankings, so that someone searching for your site under a specific keyword phrase will find it, SMO can be used to send visitors directly to your site, and can also be used as part of an SEO program.

The entire article, which will give you an overview of what SMO is, can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media_optimization

3. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hadn't heard of SMO, and frankly I don't think we really need this many acronyms... however, I had heard of the practice of optimizing social media efforts. The basic idea is that you could be spinning your wheels posting updates on facebook and tweeting, or you could follow a strategy and really help your business. One of the best pieces of advice I've seen: finish every facebook comment or update with a question. This alone increases the chances of people responding, and suddenly your business is involved in more conversations. Good for traffic, good for getting noticed on social media, and good for SEO.

4. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So does these two can be related to each other?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would say that they are both related, in that SMO and SEO are both concerned with promoting your website online. SEO with promoting your site through the search engines and SMO with promotion through social media, such as FaceBook and Twitter.

6. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

and promoting is just their main roles, right?

7. rapidsphare

rapidsphare
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

Some of differences are:

1) Channels
    2) Target Audience
    3) Goals
    4) Participations

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO looks at how your site performs according to search engines and your techniques used in gaining search engine rankings. SMO looks at how your site can be found through social networks and bookmarking websites and how that can affect your visitor share. Both are equally important in gaining visitors to your site, and neither should be not considered.

9. Kevin1

Kevin1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the process of improving the ranking of the webpage for the set of dentified keywords or keyphrases whereas SMO (Social Media Optimization) is the methodization of social media activity to attract customers to website content.