Selling pixels in 2010

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by weltonhau, Nov 4, 2010.

1. weltonhau

weltonhau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

My name is Welton and I'm from Sydney, Australia.

Following the success of The Million Dollar Homepage in 2005, I've been pondering the possibility of selling online advertising space and have always wondered how the market would react 5 years after it has been done. The novelty has surely worn off, but my curiosity is still there. Is it still possible to create a novel advertising idea in 2010, given all these online advertising giants (such as Google Ads)?

I'm a little nervous in promoting my site as I may cop a lot of criticism for copying etc so I thought I might like to share my take on it with you guys first. In my opinion, yes the concept is similar. But the execution is very different. Feel free to leave any comments or criticisms.

http://urtower.com

#1 weltonhau, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Welton. I have a fondness for sites like that, probably because I'm always trying to think of a novel way to make one of them work. As you know you have a difficult road ahead of you and it will not be easy to sell banner space on your site.

The key challenge you face is attracting a large volume of visitors to your site, so that you can in turn deliver high quality traffic to your advertisers' sites. How do you plan on doing this?

The trick with these kind of sites is building a buzz around them so they get talked about a lot on various forums and blogs. Have you any plans for building that buzz / publicity?

I would suggest that you need to include some benefits on your payment page, this should tell your potential advertisers what they will get in return for purchasing an ad slot with you.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Welton. I have a fondness for sites like that, probably because I'm always trying to think of a novel way to make one of them work. As you know you have a difficult road ahead of you and it will not be easy to sell banner space on your site.

The key challenge you face is attracting a large volume of visitors to your site, so that you can in turn deliver high quality traffic to your advertisers' sites. How do you plan on doing this?

The trick with these kind of sites is building a buzz around them so they get talked about a lot on various forums and blogs. Have you any plans for building that buzz / publicity?

I would suggest that you need to include some benefits on your payment page, this should tell your potential advertisers what they will get in return for purchasing an ad slot with you.