Selling emeralds and diamonds

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Minerva, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Minerva

Minerva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey everyone,

It is not my business, just helping a friend to post a question;-)

One of my friends have contacts in Colombia and he is selling Colombian emeralds and diamonds. All the emeralds and diamonds he is selling is certified by GIA (Gemological Institute of America) and now the products are only sold to Canada and Amercia.

He wants to expand his market, not just to Canada and America, but also to Europe, Asia. I am currently helping him to find chinese buyers, but I cant help him with other places other than China. so here is my question: can you guys suggest what we should do to get into the european or Australian jewellery market please? Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers

Olivia

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

From what you say your friend is already selling to America and Canada and you are helping him to find buyers in Canada. What I'd suggest is that you analyse the types of buyers that are purchasing the product in America and Canada. E.g. are they wholesalers or individual jewellery stores. If they are individual stores, what size of business are they and are they mostly located in large cities, etc. My idea is that if you can describe the type of buyer that is most likely to buy the product in America and Canada, then you can start looking for similar types of businesses in Europe, or even find wholesalers / agents who sell to your target businesses.

Does that approach sound like it might work for you?

You could also post an ad looking for buyers, here in the advertising forum section on BAF and on classified sites.