Selling A Website

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by warmcomplicated, Sep 11, 2016.

1. warmcomplicated

warmcomplicated
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How do you sell a website? How do I know how the value of mine? I've had it for 6 years and I'm getting pretty decent earning - not enough to feed a family of 4 though - from adsense. Any tips, anyone?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

We are not supposed to submit a post that does nothing but suggest you search on Google, so I searched your question for you, and found wealth of information, including 4 tips on how not to sell a website. You can determine value by researching other, similar websites and how much they go for. You've monetized the website, and you're "getting decent earning", so that's a plus. Be honest about your website, and don't "hype" it. You can also go through auction sites like Flippa. I've also seen the list of hints from HostGator, so there's no need for anyone to copy and paste it here. It's a violation of our terms to do so, but that hasn't stopped anyone before, so I thought it important to mention that, and I also linked to it, so you can check it out.

3. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

We might have some buyers interested in your site including myself. If you want to post the description down in the Marketplace section we can start taking a look at the details.

4. customerblast

customerblast
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ive had success with Flippa in the past. In terms of the value of a website, although I'm not an expert with this I believe a common view is about a year of profits. Its not all that much. If your business is earning $1000/month, its not worth $50k like one would hope. It would be closer to 12k. Hope this helps.

5. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know for a fact that a website can sell for 10 fold the amount of revenue it is generating. In your case, if the domain is good enough but there are still no earnings, then also there is a chance that it might sell for a good amount.

6. stephen jones

stephen jones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another useful things you can do is analyse the links to your site (inc PR) and demonstrate their high quality. Even better, if you can demonstrate why your links have better quality than your competitors, you’ll be giving an idea as to whter your revenue has a solid base – and you may be able to get a better multiple of it as a result. Also, consider the ease of maintenance of your site. The architecture and on-page SEO of some sites is so complicated that a new owner will want to rebuild. This would clearly be a great destroyer of value.

7. BODHost

BODHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From what I know a website earning some money should sell for at least 10x the current value. You should try listing your site on Flippa or there are many domain experts out there that give valuation of your site.

#7 BODHost, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017 at 9:36 PM
  8. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Flippa is a pretty good place. You can also find many forums online like namepros where you can place your domain for sale.

9. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I have been involved in a number of website sales and the BEST way to sell a website is to find a buyer in your niche who can get synergies from adding your site to what they already own. I have handled sales of websites in 6 and 7 figure sales ($x,xxx,xxx). Usually that requires a site that has some market share and customer base, not merely showing up high in search engine results.

For lower priced sites, Flippa is a reasonable alternative but there is no assurance that the people who might be the best buyers are actually looking at Flippa or auction sites, particularly if they are looking for a very specific type of website.

10. BrightFuture

BrightFuture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many self written scripts online that will tell you the value of your website, the truth is that if your website has good correct english single, two or three keywords and short name, it will sell, because the person that will buy it will not look at the value but at the name, and the person will redesign the website for his or her own style.

11. 1minhlakin

1minhlakin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This might not answer your question but if I were your buyers, the amount of money I would be ready to pay to you depend on the purpose of buying that website. If all I want is making money from Google Adsense, then the price might not very great for you (since you are already doing that).
    On the other hand, if I want to use that website to attract customer to my main e-commerce site because the audience of your website is the kind of people I want to sell my products to. Then I can pay more than you expected.
    I guess what I mean is: You should find the right buyer - who can make the most of your website. Then the price will satisfy you, I guarantee.

12. Eleena

Eleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should have given more detailed information about your website here so that interested clients can approach you.