Seeking general advice on starting a local diamond selling buisness

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by crsellision, Jan 10, 2014.

1. crsellision

crsellision
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am assisting my father in starting a small business selling high end diamonds (~$5000) to local buyers within our city as a job though his retirement which I may take on as well.

He has worked 30+ years in the Jewellery industry and has developed many dedicated clients who we plan to advertise to initially. Our goal is to remain with a very low overhead (no physical location if possible, little to no stock- diamonds will be ordered based on the customers specifications). Due to connections he has made and his expertise he can acquire diamonds of a better quality than those in most stores and sell them for a lower price.
    Our plan is to advertise initially by sending letters/email to his past clients linking to a facebook page as well as a short youtube video detailing what we do and how the process works (contact us, consultation, order diamond, receive diamond by mail or in person). We may also place ads in the newspapers and other media.

We are hoping that you all could offer some input and answer these questions:
    - Is facebook/ twitter/ youtube enough or is a webpage recommended to increase credibility?
    - Are email/ phone consultations enough or would a physical office and in person meetings be needed to put a customer at ease?
    -Any other words of advice or considerations would be appreciated!

I look forward to hearing from everyone thanks!

2. lomey

lomey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

on of the best option is to immediately take Google's Ad word services, do not do it your self, opt for some expert who can handle professionally your campaign.

3. RoseAb

RoseAb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

- Is facebook/ twitter/ youtube enough or is a webpage recommended to increase credibility?
    I would think a website would increase credibility. Mostly because people expect that every business will have a website. Maybe it could be a blog and website together that would serve both purposes.

- Are email/ phone consultations enough or would a physical office and in person meetings be needed to put a customer at ease?
    Really, you know the diamond business and it depends on the way they do it in your business. But if all your business is local, do they have to come to you--you could go to them.

-Any other words of advice or considerations would be appreciated!
    Nothing I can think of now.

#3 RoseAb, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  4. Henry Calvin

Henry Calvin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A webpage is recommended when you have a big line of different jewelry. An example is that when clothing brands have a lot of clothes, then they have to put it on one page so that people would only have to scroll up and down to see the whole thing.
    But if you are planning to have different types of jewelry then i think that would need a webpage too. And if you would have webpage, then that means your market isn't going to be only the local market. The internet is a huge place where the whole world is connected and there are millions of people who are looking at it at the same time, you can make your webpage and then market it to the whole world. There could be People in other countries who might like your jewelry there might also be investor who might be interested to expand your business.
    And if you have Facebook and other social media as well, then i don't think that consultation on the phone is necessary, then you can chat with your customers and tell them everything they want to know and you can share pictures with them so that they could have a better understanding of what you can do and what you are willing to do for them.
    But remember this, when making a webpage, you would have to have a LiveChat software for your page. If you don't know what a LiveChat software is, its a chatting software which helps you connect with your customers and your viewers, it helps you collect the market data first hand and this way you would be able to have online customer service. LiveChat helps you connect to your customers 24/7, which would help you understand when your customers come to buy from your page and how many people come to your page in a year.

5. AK Sharma

AK Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Website is an important assets of business as having a website is how people are likely to find you.These days most people will go online and research products and companies before they make a purchase, if you don't have a website you are missing out on all of this potential business.