Search engine ranking dropped suddenly

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by allyroghur, May 31, 2010.

1. allyroghur

allyroghur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some time ago, my site was made available on the net, and it got a ranking of 48 on Yahoo, altavista, and alltheweb, but 100# on Google. I then included a sitemap generated to submit it to Bing and Google. Also, I did three article submissions on review sites. I noticed that the position had reached to 32 on Yahoo, altavista and alltheweb. On Google, it was seen on 80 places. My friend told me that it is a good start. But, I feel that the sudden drop in rank is not a good beginning. What is the issue? Sitemap is a problem? Should I remove it?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sitemap greatly helps in crawling our sites. A sitemap contain links to all our pages to our sites. If you remove it, you remove a vital part of your site.

According to this article: Why is a Site Map important for a web site?

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

sitemap only help you to get indexed but wouldnt affect the serp. therefore, no need to remove the sitemap. Suddenly drop on SERP might be due to google dance

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You said your site was made available "some time ago", and that you then submitted three articles. How long ago did you do each of these steps?
    As others have mentioned, the sitemap is not the problem. Sigma also mentioned the "Google dance". This is probably a different way of saying that Google does not remain the same all the time. Google is constantly updating and changing its algorithms, and anyone wishing to get, or keep, a high ranking must keep up with these changes. You must also continually submit fresh, new content and links for the search engine's bots and spiders to find when indexing your site.
    Marketing your site to the search engines is not a "once and done" effort. It is an ongoing process.

5. jakewidmer

jakewidmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is probably a google dance! That just means that google will jump your site around until it finds exactly where you need to be. It is very common!

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Dance? First time I heard about it.
    Can someone explain about it?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The Google Dance, basically refers to the way in which Google updates their index and the page ranks it assigns to various websites. For example, a site that is number one in Google for a particular search term today, may not be number one for that term next month. That's because Google updates their index and those changes are referred to as the Google Dance.

8. Vekseid

Vekseid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google uses things like Google Toolbar, Analytics, its DNS service and javascript hooks from its search results to see how popular a site is with actual humans.

When it first notices your site, you will get a boost in rankings (I recently had one site rank for a short time with -no- public inbound links). If you sink rather than swim, you lose this boost and will have to build up traffic and links normally.

Google will also play with your position in rankings in order to see who draws more actual people. It's been more aggressive about this recently - I got bumped from the top spot in one of the terms I was king in for two years, for one week.